History of Montmartre district in Paris
History and visit of Montmartre in Paris
Montmartre is a district belonging to the 18th arrondissement of Paris. It was attached to the city of Paris in 1860. It is currently one of the most popular places for tourists in Paris. It is located in the northern part of the French capital. The average level of the Montmartre hill is 130 meters high which makes it the highest point of the city. Montmartre was a common part of the Department of the Seine.
A funicular and a staircase with 222 steps are available to get to the top of the Montmartre neighborhood colline.Le is served by several subway stations as Anvers metro , Pigalle metro , Blanche metro, Lamarck metro Jules joffrin metro .
The name of the Montmartre district apparently comes from two sources. Shows that an assumption comes from the words Mons Martyrum means Mount of Martyrs. The first bishop of Paris Saint-Denis regularly crossed this village. Because of Christian oppression, he was beheaded and buried on the hill where stands the Basilica of Saint-Denis. Another hypothesis is explained by the presence of a temple dedicated to the god of war Mars during the Gallo-Roman period. This religious building was located where now stands the church of Saint-Pierre. According to the decree of the National Assembly dated 12 November 1789, it became a joint in March 1790.
The first mayor of this ancient town was Felix Desportes. He was a native citizen of Rouen who lived up Tertre in 1788. During the French Revolution, the town was named Mont Marat. The building of the wall of Thiers between 1840 and 1845 divided the town into two parts. The party was inside the wall of Thiers was in the 18th district of Paris while the party was outside was annexed to the town of Saint-Ouen. This area was a popular place for painters. He received a lot of great artists such as Pissarro, Van Gogh, Picasso and Steinlen the 19th and 20th centuries. The artists met later on the left bank of Montparnasse.
The Montmartre district is well known for the famous Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Montmartre. The construction of this magnificent building was completed between 1875 and 1919. It is built in an eclectic style. It is the second French monument welcoming more visitors. This hill is also home to two churches, the Church of Saint-Pierre de Montmartre, which is the rest of the Royal Abbey of Montmartre and Saint-Jean de Montmartre built between 1894 and 1904 in a neo-Gothic church associated with the new art. These two churches are classified as a historic monument. This area also hosts three religious communities. It welcomes the nuns of Our Lady of the Cenacle since 1890, the Carmelites created by Albert of Jerusalem in the 12th century and the Benedictines of Sacred Heart of Montmartre founded in 1898 by Adele Garnier.
Apart from the monuments, this area is also home to various places of entertainment. It is full of rooms spectral as the Moulin Rouge, various cabarets of Pigalle, theaters des Abbesses and Manufacturing Abbesses or cabaret Patachou. It also has museums, including the Dali area, houses Dalida and Erik Satie and the Museum of Montmartre.
Transfer to Montmartre in Paris
Montmartre is located at a distance of 23.4 km from Orly Airport, 25.5 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 20.8 km from the airport of Beauvais.