History and shuttle tour to the colonnade of the Louvre in Paris
History and tour of the colonnade of the Louvre in Paris
The colonnade of the Louvre form the facade of the eastern part of the Louvre Palace which is located in the 1st arrondissement of Paris. The design of this facade was designed by architect Claude Perrault. It is part of French classicism. Construction of this section began in 1667 and ended in 1670. The substructure of this part is formed by twin columns Corinthian style and a small floor topped by a row of balusters.
The facade of the Louvre is the work of Louis Le Vau, Claude Perrault and Charles Le Brun. But after the death of Louis Le Vau, Claude Perrault executed realization of the facade. All remained unfinished because the king turned to the construction of the Palace of Versailles. The work was resumed under the reign of Louis XV. The wings built during the reign of Louis XIV have been completed. The roof was raised in the south, east and north of the palace. The buildings that were before the colonnade were removed to give the set a monumental aspect. The upper parts of columns and large ornaments were made by the sculptor Philip and Matthew Caffieri during the reign of Louis XIV. While crowning the facade and the triangular area that lies between the two crawling the pediment and cornice were sculpted by Pierre François Frédéric Lemot Cartellier and from 1807 to 1808. The stairs are located at both ends of the wing of the colonnade was built in 1818. The Ministry of Culture André Malraux decided to set up a ditch in front of the colonnade in 1963. The ditch was dug in 1964 and highlight the vicinity of the palace was intended for. The work was led by Jean Marie Trouvelet while having the support of military engineering. The basic infrastructure has been updated after the establishment of the ditch. Restoration work has thus implemented. A bridge was built to bridge the gap.
The colonnade of the Louvre is an integral part of the Louvre Museum. Which lies between the Saint-Germain l'Auxerrois Church and the Tuileries Gardens. The Louvre Palace is one of the largest palaces of the European continent with the 135,000 square meters of area. Currently, this palace with a monumental façade houses the Louvre is considered the richest museum in the world. The construction of this palace is spread over several centuries. It is inseparable from the history of the French capital. The plan of the palace was designed from the Renaissance. It is one of the most visited in Paris with the 8.9 million visitors in 2011 cultural venues. The realization of this monument is made by several architects including Raymond du Temple, Dammartin Drouet, Pierre Lescot, Philibert Delorme and Louis Le Vau. Work reconstructions were performed on the palace after 1541 following the plans of Pierre Lescot. The colonnade of the Louvre can be reached by metro station Palais Royal and the Louvre metro. It is also served by a large number of bus numbers like 21, 24, 27, 69, 72 or 95.
Transfer to the colonnade of the Louvre in Paris The colonnade of the Louvre is located at a distance of 17.5 km from Orly Airport, 32.8 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 88.3 km from the airport of Beauvais.