The Cluny Museum is also known as the National museum of middle Age-Thermes et Hotel de Cluny . It is located on the Place Paul Painlevé in the Latin Quarter of the 5th arrondissement of the French capital. The inauguration of this museum was on March 17, 1844. It contains various collections and exhibits relating to painting, sculpture, illuminated manuscripts, stained glass, art objects, jewelry and tapestries from the 15th century and the Gallo-Roman era. It has 23,000 works in 2300 which are on permanent display. It covers an area of 3500 meters with 2253 square meters are reserved for exhibitions. There were 318,068 visitors in 2011
The Cluny Museum is located in a mansion of the same name from the 15th century. The architectural style of the building is a Gothic style. It is built with a U-shaped plan It has a main building with two wings. This received the abbots of Cluny around since the 13th century. Expansion work have been made to the building in the late 15th century by Jacques d'Amboise. Mary of England was cloistered in the Hôtel de Cluny for 40 days. It was the residence of the nuncio from the 17th century. The premises of the printer and bookseller, Nicolas Léger Mustard ranged in an age in the chapel of the institution. The hotel is considered a national property during the Revolution. It has undergone changes and deteriorations. Alexander Sommerard rented rooms in the building to present these collections of medieval art objects. The state purchased the collection in 1843. Restoration work was carried out by the architect Albert Lenoir on the building. Locks and hinges portals are the works of blacksmith art François Marie Pierre Boulanger. Hotel Cluny is classified as a historical monument in 1846. The collection continues to grow through deposits. Its name is the National Museum of the Middle Ages since 1992.
The Cluny Museum was created through the combination of the Gallo-Roman baths and the town of Cluny in 1843. The baths were already the first to the third century. They are part of the remains of the Gallo-Roman civilization in the city of Paris. This place was for the public baths. The cold room and hot room are still visible on the site. While the hotel is part of Cluny mansions built between the garden and courtyard. The entire collection of the museum shows everyday life in the Middle Ages. The sculptures of the museum came from the Notre Dame de Paris, Flanders, Spain, Germany. It contains an extensive collection of stained glass from the 12th century until the 16th century. It has stained glass from the Sainte Chapelle. The collections of the museum tapestries generally represent religious images. The museum has a medieval garden built in 2000. The museum has an association called the Friends of the Museum of Cluny founded in 1992. This association is responsible for promoting the activities of the museum. It is served by Metro stations and Cluny Sorbonne RER Saint Michel and Notre Dame as well as many bus lines as 21, 27 or 87.
Transfer to the Cluny Museum in Paris The Cluny Museum is located at a distance of 16.3 km from Orly Airport, 28.4 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 88.6 km from the airport of Beauvais.