History and visit the church of La Madeleine in Paris
The church of La Madeleine is a parish church where the Roman Catholic worship is celebrated. It is attached to the Archdiocese of Paris. The construction of this church began in 1763 and ended in 1842. It is located on the Place de la Madeleine between the Opera Garnier and Place de la Concorde in the 8th arrondissement of the French capital. It adopts a neoclassical architectural style. The objects of this religious building collections consist of decorative arts, painting, organ, neo-Byzantine style mosaics and sculptures. It is served by the metro station Madeleine.
The church of La Madeleine was designed by Napoleon to make a temple of reason. It was dedicated to the victory of the great army in 1806. In 1837, a project to transform the institution into the station was underway, but did not take place. In 1846 it was consecrated in church. The construction of this church was interrupted by political unrest in the 18th and 19th century. The building measures 108 meters long, 43 meters wide and 30 meters high. It has 52 Corinthian columns that surround it. The building takes the form of Greek temples has no steeple or cross. It has two large doors made of bronze.
At the location of the number 8 Boulevard Malesherbes had been since 1238 a chapel was destroyed by time. It was then replaced by another chapel dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, to the St. Martha and St. Lazare. The increase of population in the suburb of the city Leveque led to the transformation of the chapel in the parish in 1639. Work expansion and reconstruction were established between 1659 and 1698. The Bishop of Sarlat and La Grande Mademoiselle laid the foundation stone July 8, 1651. The integration of the district to the city of Paris made it necessary to build a new church building in another location. Thus, the old church was abandoned in 1765, then sold in 1767 and destroyed in 1801.
The design plan of the new church was made by the architect of the Duke of Orleans Pierre Contant d'Ivry in 1757. He suggested a building shaped like a Latin cross crowned by a dome. King Louis XV laid the foundation stone of the new church. After the death of Pierre Contant d'Ivry in 1777, the substructure of the building was already in place. He was then replaced by William Martin substituted his plan by another church with a Greek cross with a dome crowned a little bigger, but fronted by a corridor provided with Corinthian columns. The work was suspended during the French Revolution. To finish the construction of the church, several architects have suggested their projects as Jacques Guillaume Legrand and Jacques Molinos. The work progressed slowly apart decoration and roof. Several artists have contributed to the decoration of this church as Abel Pujo, François Bouchut, Paul Delaroche, Carlo Marochetti or Pierre Lemaire. The church has two organs, the largest organ and organ Choir. The altar of the church features a collection of paintings showing the contemplation of Mary Magdalene.
Transfer to the church of La Madeleine in Paris The church of La Madeleine is located at a distance of 20.7 km from Orly Airport, 27.5 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 84.8 km from the airport of Beauvais