History and visit the cemetery of Père-Lachaise in Paris
Pere Lachaise cemetery is located in the 20th arrondissement of Paris, on the Boulevard de Ménilmontant. Well known around the world, it receives millions of visitors each year. This is Paris's largest cemetery with an area of 43.93 hectares. Besides the thousands of graves that stand there, it is rich in flora and fauna with four hundred species of plants, forty birds and other animal species. The service cemeteries of the city under the stewardship of this vast monument. Its mission to welcome and inform users, monitor the site, enhance the architectural and horticultural heritage, to look after the ditching and burial.
The cemetery was born from one of the seven hills of Paris, called the Bishop Field. In the twelfth century, we planted vines. She therefore called Mont-aux-Vignes. Regnault de Wandonne, a wealthy merchant, acquired this area in 1430 and there arose a stately home. The land was purchased by the Jesuits in the seventeenth century. They made a place for rest and recuperation. The area became known as Mont-Louis later in memory of the passing of the young King Louis XIV in the affluent home. The confessor of King Louis XIV, François d'Aix de la Chaise, called Pere Lachaise occupied the house in 1675. He remained there for thirty-four years. The area hosted many festivals and achieved expansion. Because a debt Jacy's father, the Jesuits had to sell the land in 1762. The prefect of the Seine, Nicolas Frochot bought the 9 year Ventôse XI 180 000 francs.
In 1765, a law forbade the cemeteries in town. The Innocents cemetery was closed in 1780 by application of the law. A lack of burial sites was felt in Paris. This problem was solved in the early nineteenth century with the establishment of cemeteries north of Montmartre, Montparnasse in the south west of Passy and the cemetery is. A decree of the prefect of Paris later stipulated that the area Mont-Louis will be awarded to the creation of the cemetery is. The architect Alexandre-Théodore Brongniart was responsible for its design in 1803. He sketched the broad outlines of such a cemetery English-style garden, scatters trees and graves carved. He counted as the placement of monuments.
The cemetery was completed in 1804 and took the name of Père-Lachaise in memory of François d'Aix de la Chaise. He welcomed the opening for his burial Adelaide Paillard then Villeneuve Queen Févez. Thirteen graves occupied the cemetery throughout the year 1804. Eight years later, there were more than eight hundred graves. Some remains were transferred there in 1817 as that of Molière, La Fontaine, Heloise and Abelard. Pere Lachaise was enlarged five times until 1850. The 17.58-acre Mont-Louis extended to 43.93 hectares, adorned with a bird aviary, a hundred cats, more than five thousand trees.
Pere Lachaise houses the tombs of several celebrities like Beaumarchais, Chopin, Proust, Edith Piaf, Musset ... One can see many monuments, such as the monuments erected in memory of the foreign fighters who died for France during the Great War, victims of air disasters, municipal workers in the City of Paris, the staff of the Paris Hospitals victims duty ...
Shuttle from Pere-Lachaise to Paris airports The Père-Lachaise in Paris is located 21.8 kilometers from Orly Airport, 25.8 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 93 km from Beauvais Airport.