The Hotel de Sens was a mansion that once belonged to the Archbishop of Sens. Currently, he hosts the Froney library. It is located on the rue du Figuier in the 1st arrondissement of the French capital. The construction of this magnificent building were made in the late 15th century. It features the Gothic architectural style. The building is listed as a historic monument since 1862.
Before 1622, the city of Paris was under the authority of the Archbishop of Sens. The old town of Jean Hestoménil was demolished to make room for the present building. In fact, this former hotel was a gift of King Charles V to the Archbishop of Sens to be the remains of Archbishop Paris. The new building was thus built between 1475 and 1519. The Queen Margot known as Marguerite de Valois lived in the building between 1605 and 1606. The hotel was converted into a library dedicated to the decorative arts, arts and crafts, fine arts and the applied arts since 1961. The name of the library in memory of Samuel Forney Beloved. He was an industrialist who had given a large sum to the city of Paris for the education of young artisans.
Thus, the Council of Paris planned to set up a library dedicated to the arts and techniques in 1883. This project was designed to help artisans by giving them a better place to practice their art while borrowing patterns and books. The library is well fitted to the floor of a local school. But given the success of the project, she was transferred to the Hotel de Sens in 1961. The library has a large number of books, including 230,000 printed 48,000 catalogs, 4,000 periodicals and iconographic collections securities. The origin of library books graphic arts based on the donations of Edmond Morin in 1929. Exhibitions designed to showcase the collections of the library are organized in the hotel direction.
The Hotel de Sens is built along the Hôtel de Cluny. It is for this reason that the two buildings have the same characters. The architecture of this building is mixed affecting one side of the Middle Ages and another next rebirth. The building is one of the oldest buildings in the Paris city s. Many bishops lived in the Hôtel de Sens as Tristan Salazar or Renaud de Beaune. The building was converted for industrial purposes cannery or laundry in the late 19th century, and the city of Paris became the owner of the building in 1911.
Restoration work has been done on the entire establishment in 1934 to 1960. The repairs were carried out by C. Halley. The turrets, the gate and the square tower of the hotel have maintained their original character, the rest were changed in neo-Gothic style. Apart from the extraordinary building, the hotel de Sens also characterized by its beautiful garden. It was created in 1957 and covers an area of 6200 square meters. It is a quiet green space away from heckling the big city. The hotel is open all days of the week except Mondays and Sundays. It closes its doors June 29 and July 19. The entrance to this magnificent hotel is free.
Transfer to Hotel de Sens in Paris The Hotel de Sens is a distance of 18.5 km from Orly Airport, 29.5 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 99.5 km from the airport of Beauvais.