History and visit the Faubourg Saint-Germain in Paris
The Faubourg Saint-Germain was an ancient village which was outside the city walls of Paris. It lies between the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés and the Ecole Militaire. Currently, he is in the 7th arrondissement of the French capital. It is placed in the vicinity of the Quai d'Orsay and Invalides. It is one of the most distinguished districts of Paris and is considered the government district with the presence of a large number of departments within its precincts. Among the departments that are in this area include the Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of National Education. Boulevard Saint-Germain built by Baron Haussmann in 1866 is the main route of the Faubourg Saint-Germain.
The Faubourg Saint-Germain has undergone extensive urbanization during the 17th and 18th century. During the 17th century, the work received temporary housing blocks that were between the street from the university, the Rue du Bac and the Seine. Mansions surrounded the dock Theatines currently Quai Voltaire from 1628 to 1660. While part of the suburb is occupied for the first time in convents as the novitiate of the Dominican girls of St. Joseph, Dames de Bellechasse, Theatines, foreign as well as the Carmelite missions. The establishment of the Pont Royal and the court at Versailles had encouraged the construction of hotels on the Rue de Grenelle, Rue University and Rue Saint-Dominique. The construction continued during the early 18th century.
The suburb became a fashionable neighborhood against the degeneration of the Marais. People of high society and rich people are building their hotels with extensive gardens. Many famous architects worked for the neighborhood as Robert de Cotte, Jean Courtonne Pierre Cailleteau or Alexandre-Théodore. Among the mansions of the suburb are still well preserved include the Hotel Matignon, the hotel Lassay or hotel Bourbon. The construction of new buildings decreased from 1760. It is in the first half of the 19th century as new constructions have been established whose convent of Carmelite ladies Bellechasse street Las Cases, the Convent of St. Mary visitations Vaneau on the street. Baron Haussmann was involved in the transformation of the suburb by the opening of the Boulevard Saint-Germain and the rue de Solferino. Many mansions were turned into embassies in the 19th century. Part of the district is included in the backup plan and development to better conserve heritage. Despite the action of the buildings that were in the suburb were demolished as Selvois hotel, Hotel de Neufchatel, Hotel de Bethune or hotel Trémoille.
The Faubourg Saint-Germain has yet currently specific sites. Hotel Chatillon currently houses the miraculous chapel. The area also hosts the Saint Thomas Aquinas built between 1682 and 1683. It also has six sites classified as a historic monument which the Rodin Museum, the Musée d'Orsay, the Palais Bourbon which houses the National Assembly, the great Chancellor of the Legion of Honor, the Fountain of the Four Seasons and the passage of the square of Luynes. The suburb has a dozen ways and two seats, the Saint Thomas Aquinas and the Place du Palais Bourbon.
Transfer to the Faubourg Saint-Germain in Paris The Faubourg Saint-Germain is located at a distance of 19.3 km from Orly Airport, 32.1 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 87.9 km from the airport of Beauvais.