History and visit the Petit Pont in Paris
Bridges among the contructions that abound most in the city of Paris. Le Petit Pont is indeed small, but it still has a long history which makes it a must place to visit. The Small Bridge is an arch bridge located in the 4th and 5th arrondissement of Paris. Crossing the Seine, it can connect the dock to New-Market Street in the City. He ends up on the streets of the Huchette Bûcherie and then opens on the Rue Saint-Jacques. Measuring 41 m long and 20 m wide, two sidewalks of 4 m floor limit of 12 m. Le Petit Pont is accessible by Balabus and lines No. 24 and 47 of the RATP bus and by line 4 of the metro station Saint-Michel and the RER C line at Saint-Michel station.
Throughout the history of the city of Paris, the Petit Pont is one of the first bridges were built in the words of Julius Caesar and the Emperor Julian. The latter referred the matter to the time a boat with two oars speaking of Little Bridge and Great Bridge. The first buildings of the Petit Pont which datèrent the Roman period Lutèce, were replaced in 1394 by a structure built by architect Raymond du Temple at the request of King Charles VI. At that time, Jews were sentenced in September following the assassination of one of their number who converted to Catholicism. Their fines were used as funding for completion of the work. When the bridge was completed, various assaults of nature eventually entirely demolished. New work was again undertaken to 1409.
In the sixteenth century, a new book in four arches was proposed to rebuild the Petit Pont. Completed, the business experienced rapid change, many people became merchants of lace and fabrics. There was even a shop called "Three croissants," it was very famous throughout the city of Paris or throughout France. The new building could not resist the successive floods of 1649, 1651, 1658 and 1659. In 1718, the Little Bridge collapsed due to a fire caused by two ships of hay drifted flame. The fire also won all the wooden houses were built on the bridge. This drama was so impressive that it was painted by Jean-Baptiste Oudry. This great masterpiece is now preserved at the Musée Carnavalet in Paris.
A new stone bridge with three arched arches was built a year later. It is presented with a humpbacked and its width was increased by six meters. The housing construction on the bridge was no longer permitted. However, the arches represented to obstacles for boats and barges as the case of the double bridge. Both were replaced some time later. In the nineteenth century, architects and Darcel Lagalisserie built a bridge at this location with a single arch. The engineer and entrepreneur Alexander Michal Gariel took over the direction of the work. The building was made of a single arch of 32 m span. The Little Bridge was opened to the public in 1853. The steps taken at that time were immortalized by the painter Joahn Barthold Jongkind.
Near the Petit Pont, we have a breathtaking view of the Promenade Maurice Carême, Viviani Square, Hotel-Dieu, the Prefecture of Police of Paris and the Church of St. Severin ...
Transfer to the Petit Pont in Paris
Le Petit Pont in Paris is 19.1 miles from Orly Airport, 33.3 miles from Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport and 101 km from Beauvais Airport.