private transfer from Cathédrale Saint-Alexandre-Nevsky Paris Orly
History and visit the St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Paris
St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is the first permanent place of worship dedicated to the Russian Orthodox community in France. It is the seat of the Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe, the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Since May 11, 1981, it is understood crypt historical monument. It is located at 12 Rue Daru in Paris, in the 8th arrondissement.
The Russian presence in France began in the eighteenth century. But it was not until the nineteenth to see Russians reside temporarily or permanently in the capital. In addition to the narrow place of worship is the Russian Embassy in Paris, the Russias have no other worship place. Thus, in 1847, Father Joseph Vassiliev, chaplain of the Russian Embassy, decided to establish a project to build a permanent church. The French red tape and lack of initiative on the part of the Russian government delay the effectiveness of the project. After many discussions with the Russians, the King Napoleon III finally gave the green light.
Funding for the construction was carried out by subscription from all religious communities (Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant) of Russia and in the Russian media worldwide. Donations Orthodox as well as Catholic and Protestant flock. Tsar Alexander II gives his personal financing, approximately 150,000 gold francs.
The church was consecrated September 11, 1861, the eve of Saint Alexander Nevsky, the Archbishop Leontius of Reval, which is the future Metropolitan of Moscow. Indeed, the Russian cultural center of Paris is dedicated to the Prince of Novgorod, the great hero of Russia: St. Alexander Nevsky. In 1922, Archbishop Euloge makes this church the seat of his diocese parishes of Russian emigrants. These white Russians favor a monarchist policy. The church becomes the same year, Cathedral. In the cathedral we can see frescoes and icons Eugraphe Sorokin. From 1955 to 1956, the frescoes in the crypt restored in the Russian spirit of the sixteenth century. All surfaces are well decorated. This is the famous icon painter Albert Benois and his wife Margaret, who took care of the restoration work. Historical monument since 1981, the building underwent extensive restoration since 1996.
The cathedral contains a Byzantine-Muscovite style. Designed by the architects of the church Kuzmin and Strohm, she has a plan in the shape of a Greek cross, with each branch ends in an apse. The two architects are members of Academy of Fine Arts in St. Petersburg. All apses are topped with turrets that end with arrows decorated with gold bulbs. These arrows are topped Russian cross with eight branches. The central spire is 48 meters high. The five bulbs symbolize Christ accompanied by the four evangelists. St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is now a landmark for Russian tourists visiting Paris. For Parisians or French, this cathedral is a monument for understanding the historical relationship between France and Russia.
Transfer to the St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Paris
The St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is located 24.7 km from Orly Airport, 28.7 miles from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 84.2 km from the airport of Beauvais.