With no more than 7,000 inhabitants, it is no less important since it is known worldwide. Auvers sur Oise owes its fame to some landscape painters.
History of Auvers-sur-Oise
The agglomeration of Auvers-sur-Oise is mentioned for the first time in the charter of 832, in which is mentioned a certain abbot Hilduin, who separates the lands with religious. This sharing is confirmed by Charles the Bald in another edict; where there is mention of the bridge of Auvers. This bridge is destroyed and then renovated many times, especially to prevent access to the town, or to restore it during the wars between the Normans and the French.
The twon of Auvers passed through many hands. It belonged first to the counts of Vexin. It was left as an inheritance to King Philippe I of France at the end of the 11th century. A century later, it was handed to Louis VI the Fat. The latter made a gift of the church in 1131 to the abbey of Saint Vincent de Senlis, and the faithful receiver kept it for 660 years, until 1790. When King Louis VI the Fat returned his last breath in 1137, his widow Adele of Savoy retired to the royal palace of Auvers sur Oise, which is situated behind the church. The French commune was the subject of an exchange between Richard de Vernon and King Philippe-Auguste. It is bartered against the castellany of Vernon. And then she will be the subject of several donations, before finally falling into the royal domain.
The various clashes that marked the history of France, as well as other calamities had their repercussion on Auvers. The Hundred Years War, the War of Religions, plague or cholera epidemics, floods, severe winters, game blooms, etc. have left marks on the village. But Auvers-sur-Oise has recovered in hand: during the twentieth century, it knows a development pavilion, like its neighboring municipalities of the Oise Valley.
Van Gogh, Paul Cézanne, Camille Pissarro, Charles François-Daubigny and Jean-Baptiste Corot have greatly helped to promote the town of Auvers-sur-Oise on the tourist level. Despite its small size, the city has marked the global history of painting, and more particularly the history of Impressionism. Indeed, she became known thanks to the followers of Impressionism. Among others are Charles François Daubigny (1817-1878), Paul Cézanne (1839-1906), Jean-Baptiste Corot, Camille Corot (1796-1875), Camille Pissarro (1830-1903) and the incomparable Vincent Van Gogh (1853). - 1890). These handlers have all represented a small piece of Auvers sur Oise in their works. To book one of our pick-ups, limousines, cars, vans to discover the remains of the past of Auvers-sur-Oise, do not hesitate to contact us.
"Auvers is gravely beautiful, it is full of picturesque countryside." This is what Vincent van Gogh wrote in a letter he sent to his brother Theo to describe this modest village where he drew so much inspiration. Today, several sites painted by artists who have stayed are still standing, attracting many curious tourists, lovers of painting or not. One of them, the tombs of the Van Gogh brothers, naturally seem to show passers-by that the occupants are happy to meet again: branches of ivy decorating the two sepulchres intertwine in symbol of their meeting, perhaps. These sites, which served as the basis for most of the works of these painters, were the only tourist interest of the village.
However, the municipality, with the support of the Val-d'Oise County Council, implemented a very promising tourism development plan in the early 1990s. This development plan involved strengthening the services of the municipality. tourist office and catering. He would also like to publicize the Ravoux Inn. This is the sad place where the famous Van Gogh shot himself in the chest, but only died the next day, having missed his heart. In this plan, there is also talk of restoring and creating a show at Léry Castle, a show about the Impressionists' time. The municipality has also planned to open a small private museum dedicated to absinthe, mythical drink of the Belle Epoque. In 2013, the General Council also bought the house of Dr. Gachet, a friend of Van Gogh, always with the aim of boosting tourism. This acquisition has increased the cultural offer of Auvers sur Oise, resulting in the revitalization of the cultural and economic sector, which is seen throughout the year. Whether you are visiting Gien for a business trip or for a personal stay, we can provide a day rental service.
What to visit in Auvers-sur-Oise?
Still called "Pays des peintres impressionistes", Auvers-sur-Oise contains many sites related to these artists who chose it as a place of pleasure. This shy rural commune of France has made them fall under its charm thanks to the reflections of the Oise river and the light that bursts over the surrounding Vexin plateaus. Several museums and workshops have been created to honor them and to perpetuate this artistic spirit.
The castle of Auvers-sur-Oise
This building was built between 1635 and 1756, in almost 120 years, by an Italian banker, in a style that reflects his country of origin. This banker, named Zaboni Lioni, belonged to the suite of Marie de Medici. The Italian castle returns in the late eighteenth century to Jean de Lery, advisor to the king. He metamorphoses it into a French castle. The castle is today an art interpretation center.
The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption of Auvers-sur-Oise
This Romanesque and Gothic-dominant church was founded in the late 11th century by Philip I, then rebuilt by the widow of Louis the Fat, who often comes to the castle. It is located east of the city center, on a promontory, overlooking the rue Daubigny and Rue de Paris. The church was the subject of a painting by Vincent Van Gogh.
The Daubigny workshop
This house is that of the artist who gave him his name. It was erected in 1861, and was the meeting place of fellow landscapers, Corot, Daumier, and Berthe Morisot. In 1957, the Daubigny museum is opened there. It houses many works: paintings, watercolors, drawings and engravings of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Today, the house acts as office of the Tourist Office of the village of Auvers-sur-Oise
The Ravoux Inn
Also called Van Gogh's House, the inn is now a public dining place. The proposed cuisine is prepared from fresh market produce. It highlights the art of furnaces of yesteryear. Van Gogh had his table at the back of the room. By calling on our service, you will be able to benefit from tours guided by your driver guide.
Car service from the airport to Auvers-sur-Oise
In the department of Val-d'Oise, in Ile de France region,is located the small town of Auvers sur Oise. It is 16.1 km from Ile de Loisirs Cergy-Pontoise and 39 km from the Air and Space Museum. The city is located just 35.5 km from CDG Airport and 52.5 km from Orly Airport.