Shuttle visit to Saint-Germain-des-Prés Church in Paris
History and visit the church of Saint-Germain-des-Prés in Paris
The church of Saint-Germain-des-Prés is in the order of St. Benedict of the Congregation of Saint-Maur. It belongs to the diocese of Paris, Childebert first is its founder. It was built in the year 558. The church underwent closure in 1792 during the revolution. This building is the largest of the ancient churches of Paris is listed historical monument since 1953.
The church of Saint-Germain-des-Prés abbey was once during the reign of Childebert first. But this time, there are only the church. Having suffered attacks from the Vikings, the church was rebuilt in the eleventh century. This church rallied the Romanesque and early Gothic.
The church has a bell tower built between 990 and 1014 and is one of the oldest in France. The portal is Gothic wearing a statue depicting "The Last Supper". Columns decorated with sculptures and harpies are on the sides of the portal. The facade on the Boulevard Saint-Germain is dominated by buttresses dating from the XIIth century. They are among the oldest flying buttresses of Paris.
The choir of the church is decorated in early Gothic style. It is dominated by columns and columns fitted with false tribunes monoliths. Paintings are above each arch. A chapel dedicated to the Virgin was built in 1819 by architect Godde. The church contains several chapels and mausoleums. Many frescoes depicting religious images adorn the walls of this church. This building has an organ gallery neo-classical style.
Transfer to the church of Saint-Germain-des-Prés
The church of Saint-Germain des Prés is located in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. It is located at a distance of 17.6 km from Orly Airport, 28.8 miles from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 89 km from Beauvais Airport.