History and visit the church of the Sorbonne in Paris
The church of the Sorbonne is a dependent chapel of the former college of the Sorbonne. It is attached to the Archdiocese of Paris and the Roman Catholic worship is celebrated. Its construction was started in 1635 and was concluded in 1642. The architect Jacques Lemercier is the architect of this building. This church was classified as a historic monument in 1887.
The church of the Sorbonne is enclosed in a public institution which is the largest university in Paris since 1885. Its implementation has been made under the will of Cardinal Richelieu, minister of Louis XIII. The tomb of the latter inside the church. The dominant style in the realization of this monument is the Jesuit and baroque style.
The main facade of the church is composed of two kinds: one dominated by Corinthian engaged columns and the other formed by composite pilasters. This church is the first building with a dome in Paris. The front of the church is decorated with statues of Saint Thomas Aquinas, Peter Lombard, Bossuet, Gerson hiding in different niches. A large clock was placed on the central window in the nineteenth century.
The adornment of the interior of this church was a delegate to Philippe de Champaigne and François Girardon. The cross has four pendants representing the four Evangelists converted nineteenth century illustrations of four university faculties: arts, science, law, medicine. The majestic white marble tomb of Cardinal is in the choir of the church
Transfer to the church of the Sorbonne in Paris The church of the Sorbonne localizes in the 5th arrondissement of Paris. It is located at a distance of 17.6 km from Orly airport, 28.2 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 91 km from Beauvais Airport.