Expiatory Chapel is a chapel which is located in the 8th arrondissement of Paris on the rue Pasquier. This chapel celebrates the Roman Catholic worship. It is classified as a historic monument since July 22, 1914.
The chapel was completed in 1825 under the orders of Louis XVIII. The architect who has implemented is Fontaine. It stands at the place where the cemetery was buried where Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette. Their bodies were transferred to the basilica of Saint-Denis January 21, 1815. Currently, the chapel retains the skeletons of some Swiss soldiers killed during the capture of the Tuileries Palace August 10, 1792.
The construction of the chapel of the Convent that mimicked the Queen at Versailles built by Richard Mique. This chapel has the characteristic of neoclassical late. The Greco-Roman style cemetery overlooking the Chapel.
A porch decorated by four Doric columns shapes the entrance to this building. Its interior features a Greek cross surmounted by a majestic dome. Two statues adorn the interior of the chapel: one representing Louis XVI ascending to heaven with an angel and the other Marie Antoinette maintained by religion.
The interior is composed of three arches and receives light through a circular window that is on top of the chapel. It includes an entrance room, two halls and a chapel. Corridors consist of nine arches arched. The altar of the tomb is where we found the remains of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. It is made of black and white marble.
Shuttle to the Expiatory Chapel in Paris
Its distance is 20.4 km from Orly Airport, 26 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 84.2 km from the airport of Beauvais.