Completion of the Hotel des Invalides was made under the orders of Louis XIV by royal proclamation. Construction began in 1670 and was completed in 1679. Liberal Bunting and Jules Hardouin-Mansart are architects who contributed to the making of this monument.
The hotel invalids is in the 7th arrondissement of Paris facing the Seine. It is very visible with its 107 meters high and its magnificent golden dome covered with gold leaf.
The hotel was invalid for a building to a retirement home, a mausoleum, a hospital and a church. It was a place reserved for the armed crippled. This monument has welcomed more than 3000 residents in the late 17th century.
Currently, the building receives the invalid of the French army, and serves as the Army Museum, the Museum of the Order of the release and the Museum of Contemporary History. It also has a military burial and a library.
Terms of invalids hotel was designed by Jules Hardouin Mansart. It takes the form of a Greek cross, which is located on a square surface. The facades of the building are made of two kinds. The northern façade is characterized by the presence of multiple sculptures and a grand entrance.
The Army Museum has a splendid collection of arms and armor dating from the thirteenth to the seventeenth century. Singular elements in relation to the first Napoleon and the marshals of the story are present. It also retains elements of life of the great statesman Charles de Gaulle.
Transfer to your Invalides in Paris
The hotel invalids is 17.4 km from Orly Airport, 32.5 miles from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 88.8 km from the airport of Beauvais.