The Porte Saint-Martin is a monument that is located at the northern boundary of the street Saint-Martin. The opening date for this work is 1674 and it has been established under the orders of Louis XIV. The architectural style of this triumphal arch of Louis XIV. Pierre Bullet is the architect who has implemented the realization of this monument. It is classified as a historic monument since 1862.
The construction of the Porte Saint-Martin was made in memory of the victory of the conquest of Franche-Comté and the Rhine. The Porte Saint-Martin is the place where an old door placed in the former home of Charles V. It was built in honor of Louis XIV.
It measures 17.55 meters in height and width, 4.50 meters thick. It has three arches, a large arcade and two small. The arcade center measuring 9.70 meters by 4.85 meters for keystone opening. The two side arches are 5.75 meters to 3.50 meters.
The right feet were make in stand out stone used for ornamentation. The bas-relief of the door consists of monumental sculptures made by The gelding, Marsy, Legros, Desjardins. To the front of the south, the first sculpture presents the dissolution of the triple alliance and the second making this sculpture Besançon. The facade of the north illustrates the taking of Limbourg and the defeat of Germany. The whole is crowned by an attic with Latin inscriptions to the glory of Louis XIV.
Transfer to the Porte Saint-Martin in Paris
The door Sain Martin is located 20.9 km from Orly Airport, 24 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 87.5 km from the airport of Beauvais.