Shuttle from porte Saint-Bernard to Paris airports
History and visit the Saint-Bernard Door in Paris
The Saint-Bernard does not exist anymore, but gave way to the restaurant silver tower. It was one of the gates of the wall of Philippe Auguste. It was around the castle by Tournelle along the left bank of the Seine, in the Saint-Victor's 5th district.
It was so named because of its proximity to the school Bernardine. The wall had been opened in the fifteenth century by a door baptized in memory of Bernard of Clairvaux which the college stood nearby. It was located on an old road which had become a place of leisure or monarchs walking their children.
Henri IV decided in 1606 to rebuild and to transform it into a sort of house block. In 1674, Louis XIV to thank for having removed the taxes, a triumphal arch was erected in his honor. The fortifications were demolished and the architect Blondel to beat a new door was the twin of those of Saint-Denis and Saint-Martin.
Seeing that the upper part of the building was inhabited, the architect inserted two low arches and twin incrustât the foundations of the arch with bas-reliefs representing the Sun King abundance covering the city of Paris. On the other side, the king dressed as Greek gods of antiquity led a pod Paris flanked by nymphs and tritons.
It was during the reign of Charles VII the north side of the tower of Saint-Bernard was drilled to install a fortified gate named Gate of St. Bernard. The monument survived until 1787 when it was again destroyed.
Transfer of the Saint-Bernard door in Paris
Door-saint-bernard is located 18 km from Orly airport, 36 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 100km from the airport of Beauvais.