The easiest way to enjoy a stress-free trip is to book in advance a private car service. The driver will be waiting for you in the arrival halls at Charles de Gaulle airport and you will ride in a comfortable vehicle to Seine Saint Denis district
Minivan transfer from CDG Airport to the Seine Saint Denis department (93)
The Air and Space museum is the largest aeronautical museum in France. Inaugurated in 1919, it is also the oldest and largest infrastructure of this kind in the world. This museum is dedicated to both aeronautics and aerospace. It hosts all kinds of flying machines that have marked the aviation and the French and world space exploration. It is the only one owning two Concorde planes. In February 2017, an Airbus A380 joined the collection.
It is located 8 km far from Paris, near Paris-Le Bourget Airport. It is divided into two zones. The site of the former air terminal Bourget is made up of an area of 125 000 m². Subdivided into several halls, it also has a covered exhibition hall of 18, 000 m². The site of the former base of the Air Force in Dugny 130 000 m² serves as a hangar to store part of the collection and workshop for the restoration of the machines.
What to see in the Museum of Air and Space
This museum presents the most beautiful collections of flying machines in the world: prototypes, mythical planes, all original models. The facility offers interactive exhibits to relive the key moments of the story. There is also a space for 6 to 12 year olds where children can play games such as observation in a control tower or exploring the interior of a cockpit.
The collection consists of reconstructions of the first aircraft of the 19th century, models of pre-1919 aircraft, reconstruction of the Voisin brothers' workshop, military aircraft of the two wars, prototypes of post-war French aircraft, and military aircraft after the war. There are also the flagship models of civil aviation, recreational aviation, all kinds of helicopters, space explorers (rockets and rocket models) as well as cosmonaut equipment.
The Romainville Fort
The Romainville Fort is a fortified rampart built in the framework of the fortification of Paris in the 19th century. It is located in L'Avenir district in Les Lilas commune. The name Romainville comes from the fact that the city of Lilas was still attached to Romainville until July 24th, 1867. The fort was built between 1844 and 1846 by order of Adolphe Thiers. It occupies roughly a surface of 27 hectares. Inside the Fort there are buildings for the accommodation of eight officers, a barracks for 300 soldiers, powder stores, an infirmary, a kitchen and other casemates for various uses. The Fort served as a refuge for the Lilasians and the inhabitants of the surrounding communes during the Franco-Prussian war. It was occupied by the French troops until 12th of June 1940.
The Second World War marks the turning point in the history of the Romainville Fort. Fallen into the hands of the Germans, a detachment of the Luftwaffe settled there and used the place as an internment camp. Towards the end of 1940, the enemy interned the ennemies powers national, prisoners of war and other persons whom he did not intend to judge in a military tribunal. Beginning in August 1942, hostages were detained there in retaliation against the Resistance. Beginning the 1943, the Romainville Fort served as a point of departure towards deportation. The number of people (women and men) detained in the site amounted to 7,000 during these 3 and a half years.
Things to see in the Fort of Romainville
The fort is currently hosting commemorations and tributes to the victims of deportation. Visitors can go there to gather, to visit the historic site or to try to grasp these dark hours of history. One can also observe and try to decipher the entanglements of graffiti that remained intact in the casemate n ° 17. These murals were made by internees with makeshift materials. After study and cross-examination 53 of the 135 legible inscriptions could be attributed to authors. Currently, a transmission tower of TV waves is erected within the strong breast.
The National Archives of Pierrefitte
The National Archives are a public institution which preserves the archives of the central organs of the State. The creation of these archives was ordered by the decree of the Constituent Assembly dating back to 1790. The headquarters of the Archives is located at 59, Guynemer road in Pierrefitte-sur-Seine in department 93 (Seine-Saint-Denis). With its two other sites in Paris and Fontainebleau, Les Archives Nationales retains the history of France from the 7th century to the present day. Only the Ministries of Defense, the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs have their own archives. It should be noted that the construction of the current National Archives of Pierrefitte-sur-Seine was motivated by the saturation and decay of that of Paris and Fontainebleau.
The Pierrefitte-sur-Seine site is a new building designed by Massimiliano Fuksas. Massimiliano Fuksas is an Italian architect who advises the Roissy-Charles-de-Gaulle airport and is the author of the Armani Store in Tokyo and the Zénith in Strasbourg. The site is 160 meters long and 38 meters high. It has 10 floors and has 60,000 square meters of useful space and 310 seats in reading rooms. The building was inaugurated by the President of the Republic François Hollande on 11 February 2013 and has been open to the public since 21 February 2013.
What to see in the National Archives
The national archives contain all the documents of the successive political regimes of France from the sixties to the present. These documents can be consulted by the public. These include the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, the successive Constitutions of the Republic, the Testament of Napoleon, the Journal of Louis XVI, the Trial of the Templars, the Merovingian Papyri, and so on. In all, the archives of Pierrefitte-sur-Seine contain 320 kilometers of linear archives.
Private car from CDG airport to Stade de France
The France stadium is the ideal starting point to visit the mythical places of the Seine-Saint-Denis department. It is the largest football stadium in France. This is where the French football and rugby team play at home. By landing at Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport, the private shuttle takes you to Roissy-en-France. It then takes the motorway from the north (A1 / E19) towards the town of La Courneuve and then the A86 to reach Aubervilliers. In Aubervilliers, the car takes the Saint-Denis road to join the eponymous city. Once in Saint-Denis, the France stadium is 1 kilometer from the Francis Pressensé street to the Place aux Étoiles via Mitterrand avenue.