The building is a mansion built between 1703 and 1706 in the commune of Champs-sur-Marne. It is located in the department of Seine-et-Marne. It is the work of the architect Pierre Bullet (the Porte Saint-Martin and the church of St. Thomas Aquinas in Paris) and his son Jean-Baptiste Bullet de Chamblain (Bourvallais hotel) on behalf of two Of Louis XIV.
The castle was commissioned to the architect by Charles Renouard de la Touanne. This financier of the Sun King died of a syncope at the moment when his creditors demanded his due. The castle under construction was then confiscated by Paul Poisson de Bourvallais, another financier of the king. The latter was in turn removed from his possessions following a ruling in 1716 and died two years later. The building was sold to Princess Conti (daughter of Louis XIV and Louise de La Vallière) who enjoyed her usufruct from 1718 to 1739. In 1757, the Duke of La Vallière, her then-owner, leased her to the Marquise de Pompadour. In 1895, the estate was bought by the banker Louis Cahen of Antwerp, who passed it on to his son Charles. The latter bequeaths the domain to the State while residing there. The castle is now a national estate managed by the Center des Monuments Nationaux.
Why to visit the Château de Champs-sur-Marne?
It is a beautifully furnished mansion with a remarkable garden of 85 hectares. In the castle resided illustrious personalities of French history. In 1935 it became an official residence of the Presidency of the Republic and in 1959 welcomed foreign heads of state invited by General de Gaulle. The estate is used several times in the late 1990s and early 2000s as a film shooting location. Currently, it hosts temporary exhibitions. It houses more than 900 collection pieces of furniture, ceramics, paintings and other works of art.
The Louis Braille Museum in Torcy
Journey to the heart of the universe of a world-famous blind person
Louis Braille (January 4, 1809 - January 6, 1852) is the inventor of braille, the tactile writing system with a salient point intended for blind or visually impaired people. His native house in Couvray is classified as a historical monument and becomes a place of exhibitions of his works and elements that retrace his life.
The small community of Coupvray (less than 3,000 inhabitants) located in the arrondissement of Torcy in the Seine-et-Marne is known as the native village of the one who helped blind people from all over the world to access the "Education through the writing system” he invented. This saddler's son suffers from blindness following the generalized infection of his right eye, punctured by a tool to pierce the leather when he was only 3 years old. He was sent to study at the school of Coupvray between 1816 and 1818. In 1819 he was admitted to the Royal Institution of Young Blinds where he shone on all subjects. He was appointed teacher at his age. He bent over his invention as early as 1821 after meeting the inventor of the sonogram system for the blind Charles Barbier de la Serre. It was at the age of 18 in 1827 that Braille was officially used for the first time in the transcription of Grammar’s Grammar.
Why visiting the Louis Braille Museum?
The birthplace of Louis Braille in the street bearing his name has been transformed into a museum since 1956. It is a briard house that has retained all its authenticity. Although relatively small, the museum promises interesting discoveries. On the one hand, it allows to plunge back into the universe of a saddler (leather work) of the eighteenth century thanks to the workshop of the father of Louis. We then enter the common room whose furniture tell the life of the time. And finally, there are also inventions and objects that retrace the life of Louis Braille as the first model of braille tablet, braille typewriter or raphigraph.
The Castle of Ferrieres
Castle of Ferrières: from luxury castle to a prestigious catering school
Ferrières Castle is a luxurious castle built between 1855 and 1859 by architect Joseph Paxton (Crystal Palace) on behalf of the famous banker, Baron James de Rothschild. The estate is straddling the town of Ferrières-en-Brie for its castle and the commune of Pontcarré for its huge English park. It is the most luxurious French chateau of the nineteenth century. He stayed with the Rothschild family until December 21, 2012 when Edouard and David de Rothschild gave in with his park at the town hall of Ferrières. It is home to Ferrieres School, an international reference school that promotes French excellence. It is a large hotel school that prepares to obtain a Bachelor's degree (Bac+3), a Master's degree, an MBA as well as certifying trainings and VAE.
The castle is also home to two luxury restaurants: "Le Baron" for its gourmet dishes and "Le Chai" which is meant to be bistronomic. It also hosts events and receptions on behalf of individuals or companies.
Why visit the Château de Ferrières?
Visitors will make a double discovery. They visit the picturesque landscape of the park and the former home of one of the wealthiest French families on one side. They discover the high gastronomy of Chef Patrick Juhel (best worker of France in 2000 and no less member of Toques Blanches International) in the gourmet bistro Le Chai or in one of the three salons of Le Baron. It is an opportunity to taste refined dishes after the day spent in the park. Château de Ferrières also has a catering service that makes this school a unique hotel complex in the world.
How to go by van from Disneyland to Versailles?
It takes over an hour to get to Versailles from Disneyland. You have to hit the road by taking the Esplanade François Truffaut. The van will enter Coupvray in less than 5 minutes. Continue for 2.9 km to reach A4 / E50 (Eastern Highway). On the A86 (Périphérique de l'Ile-de-France), you will still have to go through the 4 tunnels of the motorway. The driver will continue straight on the national road (N12). It is after having paced the Rue Monseigneur Gibier for 300 m that the car enters Versailles.