Jatte island is 2 km long and 200 m wide (maximum width), located in Hauts-de-Seine (92) department. It straddles the municipalities of Lavallois Perret and Neuilly-sur-Seine at unless Two kilometers far from Paris. 3 bridges lead to the island: the bridge of Levallois to the north east, the bridge Maréchal-June that connects it to Neuilly and the bridge of Courbevoie. Two pedestrian footbridges also provide access to the non-insular part of Neuilly-sur-Seine city and that of Levallois-Perret.
Formerly called the Grande Jatte island, the naming of this river island is of uncertain origin. The bowl designates a deep cut, without rim or handle. The word also indicates the contents of this hollow plate (a jug of strawberry milk). In the slang of the miners, jatte designates a boat. So, it owes its name as well because of the boats that once crossed the place or the shape of the island that is like a boat.
The Neuilly castle was built in 1751 on the square of an old building that belonged to Louis Béchameil de Nointel. The name of sauce béchamel is attributed to him, finance superintendent of the Duke of Orléans and maitre d'hotel of Louis XIV. The castle passed from hand to hand between rich nobles before the future Louis-Philippe Premier acquired it in 1818. At that time, he bought a large piece of land to isolate his castles and acquired seven islets including Great Jatte island. He began the development of the island and installed the Temple of Love at its northern point.
The estate was confiscated by Napoleon III in 1852. At the end of the 19th century, the place became a place for festivities and leisure. Gradually, the Impressionist painters invested the place and marked its history. Famous artists such as Claude Monet, Vincent van Gogh and Alfred Sisley placed their easels there. The island then turns into a place of residence while keeping a place for the walk and the leisure.
Jatte Island is the most popular site on the western outskirts of Paris. It is mostly nature lovers who come to breathe a big bowl of fresh air while walking along the shore. Visitors will discover a rural landscape and calm. Full of greenery, Jatte Island will also take them on a journey to the past. The Temple of Love is a historical monument not to be missed. The hikers can also make a detour to the Fishing House of Levallois for some fun activities. Finally, the place is full of nice restaurants.
Meudon Art and History Museum
The Meudon Art and History Museum is located at 11 street des Pierres, in Meudon in the Hauts-de-Seine. The building is a museum all by itself, because it is an old bourgeois residence of the seventeenth century. The estate belonged to Ambroise Paré, father of modern surgery and surgeon of the King. In 1550 he bought it from his in-laws. In 1590, his brother-in-law, François le Rousselet, bought it and the house was enlarged during the 1600s. The most famous owner (or rather the owner) was the actress Armande Béjart, wife of Molière. The building was transformed into a Meudon Art and History Museum in 1943. It houses more than 9,650 works composed of paintings, drawings, prints, sculptures, medals and other objects. Art and valuables, some of which have a direct connection with the town of Meudon.
The museum's collection is classified into three categories: landscape painting, the history of Meudon and contemporary post-war art. Visitors will find the works of Magnelli, Arp, Stahly, Caesar, Dietrich, Le Moal and others. The museum also exhibits paintings of nineteenth-century French landscapes offered to the city by the Grellety Bosviel family. These are magnificent paintings painted among others by Jules Dupré, Charles-François Daubigny, Albert Marquet. The history of the city is accessible from touch screens within the documentation center.
The Saint-Cloud National Domain History Museum
The Saint-Cloud museum is part of the Saint-Cloud parc. The estate of 460 hectares is located in the department of Hauts-de-Seine. The museum is set up in the so-called "Ecuries Basses" building, composed of five rooms. It is dedicated to the history of the lost castle of Saint-Cloud. It brings back to life the glorious past of this very important area for the history of France. Indeed, Napoleon Premier was proclaimed Emperor in the castle on 18 May 1815. Louis XVIII elected residence there during the Restoration. During the Second Empire, it was Louis Napoleon who resided there. The declaration of war against Prussia was signed on 17 July 1990. Following the fall of the Empire, the castle was ravaged by the flames.
The historical museum of Saint-Cloud estate preserves some treasures coming from the castle: paintings, sculptures, porcelains. There are also photographs to get an idea of the architecture and the decor of the old castle. The visit of the museum is a recommended route for visitors of the park. The most important of the exploration remains however this park classified "remarkable garden".
How to get from Orly airport to Meudon by car
The journey from Orly airport to Meudon can take about 26 minutes on highway 86. Once by car, take the National Road and continue for about 300m. Drive a few minutes, the driver will turn right A106. By entering Rungis, you have to drive about 2 minutes to take the exit 5. After passing the tunnel of Fresnes and the tunnel of Antony, you will have to enter Clamart. The van driver will then turn right to pass Velizy-Villacoublay. By joining the National Road N118, take exit 2 and continue on Route du Pavé des Gardes. When driving at 500 m, the car passes through Sèvres and it will subsequently enter Meudon. Just drive 900 m and continue straight to reach Meudon.