History and visit the Parc Montsouris in Paris
The Montsouris Park is a large park that is located in the 14th arrondissement of Paris. It is bounded on the north by Reille Avenue, south along the boulevard Jourdan, on the east by the Gazan street and the street of Cite Universitaire, and west through the streets Emile Deutsch de la Meurthe-and Nansouty. The park was created in 1878 by the engineer Jean-Charles Adolphe Alphand an area of 15.5 hectares. Inspired by an English garden, Montsouris is decorated with sculptures, waterfalls, caves, fake wood railings. It consists of a large lawn, a large artificial lake decorated with twenty species of waterfowl, and many plant species. The park is marked in the southern portion by a large monument, the pattern of Southern Observatory or pattern, symbolizing the transition from the old Paris meridian. With its various intimate corners, it attracts more and more visitors each year. This site is served by bus lines 21 and 88 RATP Traverse Bièvre by line T 3 tram University City and Montsouris and the RER B Cité Universitaire.
During the Second Empire, the construction of the Montsouris park was advanced to brighten the corners of the city of Paris green spaces. He had to occupy the south side with wood des Buttes-Chaumont in the north, the Bois de Boulogne in the west, and the Bois de Vincennes in the east. In 1860, Haussmann appealed to the engineer Adolphe Alphand to make the park at the site of the old disused quarries Montsouris who served in the burial of the remains of the deceased to permanently close the Cemetery of the Innocents. Work began in 1867. Parc Montsouris was opened two years later, although the work was not completed until 1878. The aqueduct of Arcueil served at the time to feed the artificial lake.
The park was the scene of many battles during the Paris Commune in 1871. He witnessed the death of the soldier Pierre During that suffered a bomb during the Second World War. It was entitled to a memorial stone near the lake. In the southern part of the Parc Montsouris stands a weather station. This building was originally the Palace of Bardo. Alfred Chapon the built having as reference the summer residence of the Bey of Tunis. He participated in the Universal Exhibition of 1867 to represent Tunisia. In 1868, the building became the property of the City of Paris. The Observatory staff in charge of the study of the Parisian climate was lodged. Four years later, it was transformed into Meteorological Observatory. The French scientist and inventor Hippolyte Marie-Davy was appointed director of the institute in 1873, a position he held until 1886. New services were opened in a few years after the institute such as water service and burial, a service of chemical and bacteriological analyzes of air ... The institute today remains a modern center which makes weather forecasts for Paris and the suburbs.
The park contains more than 1400 trees. Mention may be made among the remarkable trees tree umbrella China side of the esplanade Pavilion Bardo, or exotic tree, and khaki which is at the northern entrance of the park. The lake is surrounded by a Tulip Virginia, a Cedar of Lebanon, a Beech twister ...
Transfer to the Parc Montsouris in Paris
The Montsouris Park is 12.5 kilometers from Orly Airport, 33.2 miles from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 96.5 km from the airport of Beauvais.