History and visit the Grand Palais in Paris
The Grand Palais is a large building that is located between the avenues Winston Churchill and General Eisenhower, in the 8th arrondissement of Paris.Tout as Alexandre III bridge and the Petit Palais, it was built between 1897 and 1900 for the Universal Exhibition 1900. It stands on the site of the former Palace of Industry. Occupying an area of over seventy-seven thousand square meters, the Grand Palace consists of three distinct areas including the Palace of Discovery, which is intended scientific exhibitions, National Gallery, attributed to major art exhibitions as well as Nef, an exceptional space that houses since the inauguration of the building of major events and art exhibitions. Historical monument, the Grand Palais hosts about two million visitors each year. This site is served by lines 1 and 9 station Franklin D Roosevelt and metro lines 1 and 13 of the Metro Champs Elysees Clemenceau.
The construction of the Grand Palais set a competition of ideas, defined by a decree of 22 April 1896. Only French architects were able to participate, unlike the competition to build the Opera Garnier and the Palais du Trocadero, where the application was accepted by foreign architects. Four architects emerged winners including Henri Deglane Albert Thomas, Albert Louvet and Charles Girault. They worked collectively to build the building. Work began in 1897. Deglane took over the north and south of the great nave and aisles decoration. Louvet was commissioned to build the central part, dominated by the VIP Lounge. The construction of the west wing of the building called Palais d'Antin, was entrusted to Thomas. Designer of the Petit Palais, Girault was appointed to ensure the overall coordination of the work and the finalization of the plans. Completed in 1900, the inauguration ceremony of the building was honored by the President of the Republic, Emile Loubet, the Minister of Public Instruction and Fine Arts, the Minister of Commerce, Industry, Posts and Telecommunications, the Ministry of the Interior and Religious Affairs and the Commissioner General of Expo. Until 1937, the Grand Palais housed various exhibitions of artists and exhibitions such as the Ideal Home Exhibition companies, auto show, aviation ... The Palace of Discovery was established in the western part of the building for the International Exhibition of Arts and Techniques in 1937. In 1964, Reynolds Arnould put in place the National Galleries at the request of the Minister of Culture, André Malraux. The Grand Palace underwent restoration work in 1993, then from 2001 to 2005 and from 2005 to 2007.
The architects built the building by adopting a plan H. The main materials used are stone, iron and glass. The building is 240 m long and 40 m high. The central dome is made of glass, which makes flood the center of the building with natural light. It took about 8,500 tons of steel, glass and iron for all north, south and cross aisles with the dome and the dome. Both inputs and in the eastern pediment is crowned by copper chariot while beautiful porcelain mosaics are the pavements of the elliptical hall. The front opening on the Avenue Winston Churchill is adorned by external friezes structured in a broadband colorful gold enhanced.
Transfer to the Grand Palais in Paris
The Grand Palais is located 22.3 kilometers from Orly Airport, 31.3 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 86.6 km from the airport of Beauvais.