History and visit the Louvre in Paris
The Louvre Palace was purpose built as a royal residence. Several architects have contributed to the construction of this beautiful building which Raymond du Temple, Pierre Lescot, Drouet Dammartin, Philibert Delorme and Louis Le Vau. It lies on the right bank of the Seine in Paris. Louvre is located between the Saint-Germain l’Auxerrois and the Tuileries Gardens. It is considered as the largest palace in Europe with the 135,000 square meters of space, but also the second largest building in Europe before the palace of the Romanian parliament. The construction of the Louvre full part in the history of the city of Paris, as it covers a period of no less than 800 years. The name of the palace comes from the word meaning Lupara Louverie or village Louvre.
The Louvre Palace is listed as a historic monument. There were 8.9 million visitors in 2011 and this number is increasing every year. This is the cultural place that has the largest number of visitors in France. Expansion work has been brought to the castle during the reign of Louis IX. The palace became the royal residence under Charles V. The palace is attached to the defensive system against external attacks. He became the royal residence, but also protection. Royal treasures, collections of the Library of Charles V, but also books from churches were transferred to the palace. A tower is devoted to books: the tower of the library.
The Louvre Palace was built on the place where a castle. It was built by King Philippe Auguste and sprawled on the south-western part of the square court. In the basement of the palace is still the remains of the foundations of the old castle. The western part of the castle of the Middle Ages gave way to a house built in the Renaissance style by Pierre Lescot. It houses the beautiful Court Square. It was built by architects Le Vau and Lemercier. The construction work was carried out during the reign of Louis XIV and Louis XIII. The exterior of the palace is characterized by sculptures, statues, colonnades.
The palace of the Louvre now houses the famous Louvre Museum. This museum is one of the richest and the largest in the world with these 210,000 square meters. The opening of the museum was made August 10, 1793. It has a large number of collections including Egyptian, Oriental, Greek, Roman and Etruscan. It also keeps the arts of Islam, various art objects, paintings, graphic arts and sculpture. It has about 460 000 pieces. The number of visitors to the museum in 2012 was 10 million. This museum contains works dating from antiquity to 1848. The museum houses famous works including the Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci, Venus de Milo, the Code of Hammurabi, the Liberty Leading the People by Eugene Delacroix. Rehabilitation works have been made in the Louvre between 1981 and 1999. This transformation is characterized by the introduction of the glass pyramid. This pyramid is located in the Cour Napoléon and inaugurated on 30 March 1989. It is the work of architect Ieoh Ming Pei.
Transfer to the Louvre in Paris
The Louvre Palace is located at a distance of 19.7 km from Orly Airport, 27.5 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 88.5 km from the airport of Beauvais.