- History and visit the Church of the Madeleine in Paris
- Shuttle La Madeleine Church to Paris airports
History and visit the Church of the Madeleine in Paris
The Church of La Madeleine is located on the Place de la Madeleine, in the 8th arrondissement of Paris. Although a parish church, it looks like a Greek temple. It measures 108 m long, 43 m wide and 30 m high. It is surrounded by 52 Corinthian columns. La Madeleine is attached to the Archdiocese of Paris.
This great monument was formerly a chapel dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, St. Martha, as well as Saint-Lazare. Rebuilt in 1492, the chapel replaced an ancient chapel of the thirteenth century. In 1639, the new chapel was enlarged to accommodate the residents of the suburb of the city bishop and became a parish church. It was enlarged in 1659 and again in 1698. Construction costs were borne by Sevin Bishop, Bishop of Sarlat and La Grande Mademoiselle. The suburb was annexed to the city of Paris some time later. Then there was a project to build a new church. The old parish church was sold in 1767 and no longer existed in 1801.
In 1757, the architect of the Duke of Orleans, Pierre Contant d’Ivry drew the plans for the new church of La Madeleine. He opted for a Latin cross on the form. Construction started August 3, 1763. Fourteen years later, Pierre Contant d’Ivry died when arose the basement. One of his disciples, William Martin Couture, took his place. It does not, however, followed the Ivry plans, but proposed a building shaped like a Greek cross, surmounted by a dome, inspired by the Church of St. Genevieve. A decree of the National Assembly of December 30, 1791 suspended the construction of the church. This suspension was spread out until 1804.
The foundations of William Martin Couture were demolished in 1811. They gave way to the construction of the Temple of Glory. Although work avançassent, Napoleon wanted to return to the original draft of a church. The latter was completed during the return of the Bourbons to the throne. In 1816, she was ranked as expiatory monument under the orders of King Louis XVIII. He commissioned the architect Vignon to build the expiatory chapel nearby. This could finish his work before his death in 1828. His collaborator Jean-Jacques-Marie Huvé continued work. He was inspired volume frigidarium and the Pantheon in Rome for interior decoration. He appealed to great artists such as painters François Bouchut, Auguste Couder, Victor Schnetz … and sculptors Philippe Joseph Henri Lemaire, James Pradier, Antoine Etex … Completed in 1842, Archbishop Afire, Archbishop of Paris blessed church October 9, 1845.
You can see on the front of La Madeleine a Latin inscription which means “the God Almighty and large, under the invocation of St. Mary Magdalene.” The church has a large organ, designed in 1846 by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll. It was revised in 1927 by the French organ builder, Charles Mutineer in 1957 by Roethinger.Danion-Gonzalez went electric in 1971. It was structured in four manuals and pedal with 58 games in 1988 Dargassies. The choir organ by cons is composed of two 56-note keyboards and 32-note pedalboard with 20 games. It was built in 1843 by Cavaillé-Coll. It was the subject of changes in 1848 and 1897 by Cavaillé-Coll. Gonzalez endowed a mobile console went electric in 1976, revised in 1996 by Bernard Dargassies.
Shuttle La Madeleine Church to Paris airports
Our team offers you a collective shuttle to transfer you from Beauvais airport to the Church of La Madeleine. This church is located 21.8 kilometers from Orly Airport, 32.4 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 84.8 km from the airport of Beauvais.