History and visit the square Louvois in Paris
The square Louvois is located in the Opera district, in the 2nd arrondissement of Paris. It faces the National Library. It is bounded on the north by the Rue de Louvois, to the south by Rameau Street, on the east by the rue de Richelieu and west by Lulli Street. Compared to other districts, the second district is the least green space provided. The square Louvois is the only public garden. It covers an area of about two thousand square meters. One of the most beautiful fountains in the city, Louvois fountain stands in the heart of the square. It is decorated with sculptures of women symbolizing four rivers including the French Loire, the Seine, the Garonne and the Saone. The square takes its name from an old hotel which belonged to the Marquis de Louvois. Visitors can visit the site by bus line 39 and by metro and Exchange September 4, line 3.
In the seventeenth century, a hotel occupied the current location of the square. He belonged to the Marquis de Louvois, Michel Le Tellier. In the late eighteenth century, the hotel was replaced by the theater arts. Managed by Mademoiselle Montansier, theater was a great success. He became in 1794 the Opera House. The following year it was bought by the state. It was the first time the theater was of benches on the lawn. 13th February 1820, the second son of the future Charles X, Duke Berry was killed at the output of the Opera. This tragic event was the cause of the closure of the facility and its demolition later. A decree of July 10, 1822 disposed that the place will be devoted to the development of a public place and could not be used for any other destination. Despite this provision, Louis XVIII allowed the construction of an expiatory chapel on the premises. It was built in honor of the deceased prince. Lack of resources, the work was stopped after the 1830 revolution. The Municipal Council of Paris planned to make way for a site dedicated to the victims of the July Days mausoleum. This project never saw the light. In 1836, the land became the property of the city of Paris. It was converted into a public place and took the place name Richelieu. In 1844, Louis-Philippe commissioned the French architect Ludovico Visconti to erect in the middle of the square a fountain that is the current fountain Louvois. Jean-Baptiste Klagmann the adorned by sculptures representing four women. The square was transformed into a public garden in 1859 by a decision of the municipal administration. The architect Gabriel Davioud aménagea the square in collaboration with Jean-Charles Alphand, who made an island of greenery. The inauguration of the square Louvois was celebrated on the feast of Napoleon III.
The square Louvois seven hundred trees. Include among others a Quercus cerris, the Sophora, a soap or chestnut. The Fontanesia phillyreoides, a shrub from Syria is remarkable for its size. A commemorative glass plate is placed inside the garden in memory of a dozen children who found themselves in the second district died after being captured by the Nazis. The square is a great place to walk or take a ride tinted romanticism, and for reading … This lovely tranquil garden requires by its calm.
Taxi and shuttle transfer to square Louvois in Paris
With our team specialized in transfers by prestige car with driver through Paris and its surroundings, enjoy your visit in the greatest comfort. The square Louvois is located 22.4 kilometers from Orly Airport, 25.3 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 90.5 km from the airport of Beauvais.