History and tour of the Cité Internationale Universitaire in Paris
The Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris or CIUP is a great site that includes dormitories for students researchers, artists, or elite athletes. It is located in the 14th arrondissement, between the Porte d’Orléans and Porte de Gentilly. Recognized as a public utility by decree of June 6, 1925, the private foundation was created in order to promote peace. With five thousand seven hundred houses, it hosts more than twelve thousand students from more than one hundred and forty different nationalities each year. These residence halls are divided into two groups, non-attached houses and attached homes. The former are managed by CIUP itself while the latter are the responsibility of different government partners CIUP including foreign states. CIUP is accessible by lines 21 and 67 of the RATP bus line M by 4 of the Porte d’Orleans metro, the tram T 3a and the RER line B to Gare de Cite university.
The history of the Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris began in 1920. The Minister of Public Instruction of the time, André Honnorat, decided to implement a project in the context of a peace between the two world wars by building a meeting place for students from around the world. Industrial and French philanthropist, Emile Deutsch de la Meurthe came to join the project. The first student residence was called Deutsch de la Meurthe Foundation, in memory of its founder. Inaugurated in 1925, it is classified as a historic monument in 1998. Shortly after the project received government funding and foreign manufacturers. Other homes were built such as the House of Canadian students, the India House, the House of Japan … The support of John D. Rockefeller Jr. allowed the construction of the International House that dominated the center of the nineteen other residences already high on the eve of World War II. To the principle of neutrality and secularism, there was a place of worship inside the area. It was only in 1936 that the Church of the Sacred Heart of Gentilly was built near the city. Construction of homes continued after the war. Seventeen new residences were opened between 1948 and 1969. Two other homes were opened in 2005 in the 19th arrondissement of Paris. Although not found in the walls of the institution, they remain the property of the Cité Internationale Universitaire. The latter will welcome ten new homes in 2017. This project will increase by thirty-one percent of the housing capacity of the city.
To live in the Cité Universitaire Internationale, students must meet certain criteria including being registered at least one master in Ile institution of higher education, do not stay more than three years in the house, holds a doctorate in researchers, the stay must be made in the course of their work for artists and cultural professionals … Besides being a place to stay, CIUP has various facilities such as exhibition halls, theaters, sports, restaurants … Throughout the year, the houses do not fail to organize cultural events that are open to the public as film screenings, concerts, exhibitions, etc..
Transfer to the Cité Internationale Universitaire in Paris
The Cité Internationale Universitaire is located 12.4 kilometers from Orly Airport, 33.1 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport and 100 km from the airport of Beauvais.