Shuttle from Catacombes to Paris airports
History and visit the Catacombs in Paris
The Catacombs are located in the 14th arrondissement of Paris on Avenue du Colonel Henri Rol-Tanguy. They are an old underground quarry transformed into municipal ossuary in the 18th century. They were inaugurated in 1810. They are among the museums of Paris and subjugate the Carnavalet Museum.
The Catacombs of Paris hold the bones of millions of Parisians various cemeteries for reasons of hygiene and overcrowding. The name has been imitated catacomb of underground burials of ancient Rome. They measure 1.7 km long with an area of 11000 square meters. They are twenty feet below the earth's surface and have several galleries.
The majority of bones in the catacombs from the cemetery of the innocents. It became a danger to the public and a Council of State ordered to remove location and transfer the bones in the catacombs. Moving bones began April 7, 1786 and ends in 1788. The evacuations uent done during the night, they were accompanied by processions of priests. The bones were removed from other cemeteries in the catacombs up'' in 1814.
1.80 meters measure the catacombs under the arches and has a distance of 2 kilometers. They are made by 130 steps down and 83 steps to climb. The temperature inside the premises is 14 ° C. It is recommended for people with respiratory problems and heart not to visit the site. Like for children and sensitive people. They have roughly 300,000 visitors each year.
Transfer to the Catacombs in Paris
The catacombs are located 15.1 m from the airport of Orly, 33.1 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 96.5 km from the airport of Beauvais.