History and visit the Gustave Moreau Museum in Paris
Gustave Moreau museum is located on rue de La Rochefoucauld. It is a national museum which is located in the family house painter who is fully equipped. Former workshop was given to the French state in 1897. This donation was intended to better preserve and present the great public works of the artist. The opening of the museum was made January 14, 1903. It features paintings, drawings, sculptures. It is served by several subway stations, including the Trinity metro, d’Estienne d’Orves metro and the St. George subway.
The workshop of the famous artist Gustave Moreau is housed in a mansion in the Rue de La Rochefoucauld. These are parents who have purchased the hotel in his name in 1852. Expansion work have been made to the building in 1896. It became his place of work and residence until his last breath. The donation of the entire building and its contents was made in 1897, but in 1902 the state accepted it. The museum was open to the public January 14, 1903, the day of his inauguration. The first curator of the museum was Georges Roualt. He held this position until 1922. Currently, it is Marie-Cécile Forest which is the direction of the museum since 2002. It has about 30,000 visitors each year. The building is divided into three parts, in the first floor apartment which comprises a hallway, an office-library, a bedroom and a dining room in the second floor is the workshop and the third is Upstairs are two rooms. It is in the second and third floors that are exposed paintings and watercolors. Large workshops that are on the floor were set up in 1895 with large windows. The workshops are connected with a sumptuous wrought iron spiral staircase. Despite the renovations made to this unique workshop to house its kind, it still retains its original character.
Gustave Moreau museum has about 20,000 works. It is exposed to approximately 850 paintings, 350 watercolors, 15 drawings and 13 000 sculptures. It also presents portraits of Gustave Moreau made by other artists such as Edgar Degas and Gustave Ricard. Among the works of the artist are presented include the Chimera, the return of the Argonauts, Jupiter and Semele, the bloody Christ, mystical flowers or Herod. A portrait of the artist’s mother Pauline Moreau made by Jules Elie Delaunay is also featured in the museum. Restoration works were made in the apartment of the painter to make it accessible to visitors. It is thus open to the public since 1991. Same for the office reception underwent renovations in 2003. The museum is open every day of the week except Tuesday. IL is closed on May 1, December 25 and January 1. The entrance into the museum price varies depending on the person. Visits the site can be done in groups of 30, but advance booking is required. Unfortunately, it is not accessible to people with reduced mobility and has by elevator, but three steps.
Transfer to the Gustave Moreau Museum in Paris
Gustave Moreau museum is located at a distance of 22.6 km from Orly Airport, 27.2 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 84 km from Beauvais Airport.