History and visit the Place des Victoires in Paris
Place dez Victoires belongs to the 1st and 2nd district of the French capital. It is located in the district of Les Halles, Mail, Royal Palace and Vivienne. It gives access to various streets including rue d’Aboukir, St. Croix-des-Petits-Champs, the Rue Catinat, Rue La Feuillade, rue Etienne Marcel and the street-Empty Pocket. It is circular in shape and measures 80 meters in diameter. The creation of this site was made in 1685. In 1792, it was called the Place des Victoires-Nationals.
The establishment of the Place des Victoires was made on the initiative of the city of Paris and Marshal La Feuillade. A decree of the king’s council dating from 1685 specifies the principal characteristics of the site. The name of this site is in memory of the successive victories of Louis XIV. The inauguration of the square on 26 March 1686. The layout of the site is delegated to Jules Hardouin-Mansart. While the owners of the land surrounding the square were forced to erect regular buildings. Many mansions were on the square as the hotel Charlemagne Soyecourt the hotel, the hotel of the hospital, the hotel or the hotel Prévenchères Cornette. The mansions that are registered and are classified as a historic monument. While the soil of the place is listed as a historic monument in 1962.
The center square is adorned by winning four successive monuments since its inception. From 1686 to 1792, she received a standing statue of Louis XIV. The Marquis de la Feuillade had built this statue by Martin Desjardins, to give as a gift to Louis XIV. It was in memory of the Peace of Nijmegen in 1678. The base of the statue has four characters made in bronze, representing despondency, anger, hope and resignation, but also inscriptions on the victory of the army. Currently, this statue is in the museum of Versailles.
During the French Revolution, a wooden pyramid had taken center stage instead of victories. The statue of Louis XIV was melted and turned into cannon. The pyramid placed by revolutionary bears the names of the deceased during the day of August 10, 1792 people. Then the pyramid is replaced by the statue of General Desaix in 1810. This statue is the work of Claude Dejoux and is made of bronze. It was a naked representation of the general. It is immediately melted to make the equestrian statue of Henri IV which is on the new bridge.
The middle of the square is adorned by an equestrian statue of Louis XIV from 1828. It is the work of François Joseph Bosio and representing the king and emperor holding a horse. It was realized on order of King Louis XVIII. It stands on a base made of marble. Restoration work has been done on the statue by Alain Pless, a painter and art restorer in 2005. This site is cited in various literary and cinematographic works. The book Great Paris Philippe Meyer published in 1997, discusses the changes in the city of Paris through the development of this site in the 20th century. She also appears in the film Paris, I love you by Nobuhiro Suwa or Heartbreaker Pascal Chaumeil.
Transfer to place des Victoires in Paris
Place des Victoires is at a distance of 18.9 km from Orly Airport, 28.9 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 85.4 km from the airport of Beauvais.