Place de la Concorde is a place belonging to the 8th arrondissement of Paris. It lies at the foot of the Champs-Elysées in the district of La Madeleine. It measures 359 meters long and 212 meters wide. It is the largest square in the French capital with the area of 8.64 hectares. The creation of this site was made in 1772. The name she now bears was given in 1830 in memory of peace between the French. It is surrounded by the Tuileries Gardens, the Pont de la Concorde, the Rue Royale and the lower part of the Champs-Elysees. This site marks two major axes of the axis Paris West is composed by the Arc de Triomphe, the Arche de la Défense, the Tuileries Gardens, the Champs Elysees, the Louvre Museum and the north-south axis made by the district department stores, Montmartre, the National Assembly, the church of La Madeleine.
Place de la Concorde is one of the major fixtures in the capital made during the Enlightenment. It marks the improvement of French style with the beginning of a new classicism. The architect who created this wonderful site is Ange-Jacques Gabriel. Political regimes and national events are assigned the name of that place. She was successively named Place Louis XV, Revolution Square after August 10, 1792 Place de la Concorde for the Management, Place Louis XVI during the restoration and establishment of the Charter in 1830. It was during the July Monarchy, it was renamed Place de la Concorde. The ornamentation of the center of the square was changed according to political events and key developments in France.
He had found it: an equestrian statue of Louis XV, a Statue of Liberty, a statue of Louis XVI and finally Luxor obelisk. During the revolution, the changes to this site are less important than those made during the July Monarchy. In 1836, we are witnessing the creation of magnificent obelisk, fountains, towers, rostral and statues of the main cities of France columns. During the Second Empire, ditches have been removed to facilitate traffic. The removal of the hotel Grimod 1931 was the last layout that was brought to this site. It is then replaced by the Embassy of the United States.
Place de la Concorde was an esplanade bordered by ditches. It had two large pipes. The statue of Louis XV was built in 1748 to celebrate the recovery of the latter. A competition between members of the Royal Academy was launched in 1753 to renovate the place. The Obelisk of Luxor dating the 13th century BC was brought to France in 1836. It was a gift from Egypt to translate hieroglyphics. It is then installed in the middle of the square under the orders of Louis Philippe. It measures 22.86 meters in height and weighs 227 tons. It overcomes a base measuring 9 meters and crowned by a golden capstone measuring 3.5 meters, which was added in 1998. This site has two fountains, the fountain of the seas and the Fountain of the Four Rivers. The statues adorning the square were sculpted by Antoine Coysevox.
Transfer to the Place de la Concorde in Paris
Place de la Concorde is at a distance of 19.3 km from Orly Airport, 27.8 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 87.4 km from the airport of Beauvais.