- History and visit the church of Saint-Germain l’Auxerrois in Paris
- Transfer to the church of Saint-Germain l’Auxerrois in Paris
History and visit the church of Saint-Germain l’Auxerrois in Paris
The Saint-Germain l’Auxerrois church is located in the first district of the city of Paris and is served by metro from the Louvre, Rivoli and Pont Neuf. It is placed in the south-east of the Place du Louvre and in the vicinity of the town hall. It is a parish church that celebrates the Roman Catholic worship. It is attached to the Archdiocese of Paris. The construction of this church began in the 12th century and ended in the 15th century. Work shifts were made in the 16th and 18th century. The dominant building this religious building is the Gothic style. It is classified as a historic monument since 1862.
The name of the church of Saint-Germain l’Auxerrois is given in honor of Bishop Germanus of Auxerre. The first church was at its current location, but was destroyed by the Vikings during the siege of Paris from 885 to 886. It was rebuilt in the 11th century. The oldest church that is still visible now is the Romanesque tower from the 12th century. An arrow surmounted the tower, but was replaced by a railing after its demolition in 1754. The rigging of the choir of the Chapel of the Virgin and the west portal was made a little later. Major reconstruction work has been made to this church in the 15th century as the raising of the porch. When Valois resettled at the Louvre in the 14th century, the church became a royal church. It is one of the oldest churches in the French capital. It is linked with the disastrous history of St. Bartholomew. Arrangements have been made to the choir of the church in 1756 following plans drawn by architect Claude Bacarit. The columns were decorated by grooves while angels’ heads were carved on the capitals. The church was converted into a feed store in the police station and printing during the revolution.
Worship on Theophilanthropy were celebrated in the church in 1795 while the Catholic worship is celebrated there again within the confines of the church from 1802. She suffered devastation February 14, 1831 during the turmoil caused by the murder of the Duc de Bercy. The degradation of the church led to its closure for several years. Repairs were made during the July Monarchy by Jean Baptiste Antoine Lassus and Eugène Viollet-le-Duc. It was made aus Catholic in 1840. The construction of the Town Hall was inspired by this religious building to prevent its demolition. The work was done by the architect Jacques Hittorff at the request of Baron Haussmann.
The Saint-Germain l’Auxerrois church is built in the shape of a cross measuring 80 meters long and 40 meters drop. It has a nave measuring 20 meters high and with four columns of Gothic style. The choir of the church has a gallery that surrounds it. The windows of the church date from the 16th and 19th century. It is decorated with various works of art including statues, paintings and period furniture. The facade of the church has a porch with five bays and statues of saints. The main portal of the church dates from the 13th century.
Transfer to the church of Saint-Germain l’Auxerrois in Paris
The Saint-Germain l’Auxerrois church is located from Orly Airport at a distance of 20.7 km , 31 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 86.4 km from the airport of Beauvais.