History and visit the Place Maubert in Paris
Place Maubert in Paris is located in the 5th arrondissement. It extends from the rue Maître Albert and boulevard Saint-Germain to rue Lagrange rue Frédéric Sauton. Pentagonal in shape, the Place Maubert was founded in the early thirteenth century. Houses were built on this site in 1210. It is named first site Aubert tribute to Abbé Aubert de Sainte-Geneviève. At the time, he founded vices beef on this site. Other sources, however, argue that the place got its name Albert the Great Teacher said Albert.
Several events were held on the Place Maubert during the Middle Ages. It was the meeting place for students, rowdy, bands that devastated prisons in 1418. From 1533 to 1546, multiple executions succeeded on this site, such as executing master Alexandre d’Evreux and his pupil Jean Pointer for heresy, Antoine Poille, Claude Lepeintre, Etienne Dolet for blasphemies.
It was also the place for the first time began the barricades leaguers in 1588. In memory of Etienne Dolet, who was a poet, printer, speaker and translator known sixteenth century, the city council of Paris, he erected in 1880 a bronze statue. The latter symbolized the freedom of thought and secularism. Claiming the bronze metal by the Germans was the reason why the statue was removed in 1942.
One of the oldest markets in Paris in 1547 stood on the site although it was the place where stood the study of philosophy and theology. The market was removed at some point, but returned in the late nineteenth century. He is now on the Boulevard Saint-Germain and takes place three times a week especially on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Transfer to the Place Maubert in Paris
Place Maubert in Paris is 38 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport, 20 km from Orly airport, and 112 km from Beauvais Airport