History and visit the rue de la Bûcherie in Paris
Rue de la Bûcherie is located in the neighborhood of the Sorbonne in the 5th arrondissement of Paris. It is composed of two parts such that the first uniting the Rue Saint-Julien-le-Poor in the Rue du Petit Pont and the second part starts from Lagrange Street and continues along the rue Frédéric Sauton. This wide street is 160 meters long and 8m wide.
Historically, the street Bûcherie was created in the late 12th century. Being one of the oldest streets of the left bank of Paris, she stood next to the Place Maubert and the Cathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris, located between the Boulevard Saint-Germain and the Seine. She was surrounding the former Port aux Firewood from which it took its name “Bûcherie.” Street served in the Middle Ages place to feed disadvantaged families in Paris by bad meat, salted and boiled.
In 1481, the schools of medicine and surgery were located in this street. Two centuries later, the anatomical theater was built. In 1769, these schools were placed in the Rue des Cordeliers. Rue de la Bûcherie was very attractive with many oriental restaurants, art galleries and antique shops that stood there in the 70s.
Across the street, you can still see several specific sites such as the ancient amphitheater Faculty of Medicine at No. 13, Shakespeare and Company Bookstore located at No. 37, the house at No. 16, where lived the famous writer Nicolas Edme de la Bretonne Restif commonly known Restif de la Bretonne. Son of peasants born in 1734, de la Bretonne Restif moved to Paris in 1761, this is when he began to write. He died in Paris February 3, 1806 in his home, the street Bûcherie.
Transfers to rue de la Bûcherie in Paris
Rue de la Bûcherie in Paris is 33 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle, 20 km from Orly airport, and 112 km from Beauvais Airport