History and visit the Hotel de Beauvais to Paris
The Hotel de Beauvais is one of the most famous mansions in the fourth arrondissement of Paris. It is located at 68 rue Francois Miron in the Marais district. It was built in 1655 by architect Antoine Le Pautre at the request of the lady of honor to Anne of Austria, Catherine Henriette Bellier. In 1966, it was classified as a historical monument. It currently serves as the seat of the Administrative Court of Appeal of Paris.
The foundations of the Hotel de Beauvais are based on the location of a medieval house that belonged to Eloise Palaiseau. In the thirteenth century, she donated the house to the abbey of Chaalis which replaced it some time later with a townhouse. It changed ownership over the years and was owned by the wife of the superintendent of finances, Nicolas Fouquet, in the seventeenth century. The house was bought by Pierre de Beauvais on March 30, 1654. With the acquisition of an adjoining house, he enlarged the house. The following year, the townhouse was replaced with the construction of a prestigious mansion. The wife of Pierre de Beauvais, Catherine Henriette Bellier, called on architect Antoine Le Pautre to build the building as a gesture of thanks for services rendered. Catherine Bellier was very close to Queen Anne of Austria, and at the time she took care of her and provided her with several services, such as arranging for the young Louis XIV to lose his virginity, as ordered by the queen.
Le Pautre showed great ingenuity in building the hotel, as the surface was narrow and crooked. He adopted the Grand Style French seventeenth century for the facade, consisting of large rectangular openings and quoins and stone-walls with modest decorations. The balcony was decorated with vases of flowers and fruits. Le Pautre built a double house, which opened onto the street and the courtyard. To comply with the tradition that a hotel must be built between courtyard and garden, he built a small garden on the first floor, with a pond and fountain, a grotto, an aviary, and a stable yard designed for eighteen horses and a chapel dome topped by a square whose facade was shaped like a facade sham. It served as an element of symmetry to the front right. The outer vestibule was a symbol of the architect’s bravery. It was built on eight Doric columns topped by a frieze of triglyphs and metopes, decorated with the initials of the founders PCHB for Pierre Catherine Henriette Bellier Beauvais. Le Pautre managed to place a beautiful stone staircase with a ramp and openwork tracery preceded by Corinthian columns, adorned with remarkable sculptures of trophies, children, sphinxes, eagles, etc., inside the hotel.
On August 26, 1660, Queen Anne of Austria and the Queen of England, Mazarin, and Turenne stood on the balcony of the Hotel de Beauvais to honor the entrance of Louis XIV and Marie-Therese his wife for their presentation to the Parisians. The Hotel de Beauvais underwent architectural changes during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. After restoration, it has housed the Administrative Court of Appeal of Paris since 2004. The hotel has attracted many filmmakers and has appeared in several movies, such as The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Philip Kaufman.
Transfer from mansion Beauvais to Paris airports
Treat yourself to the most comfortable journey upon your arrival in Paris by choosing your private shuttle with driver to the mansion Beauvais from a professional team. The Hotel de Beauvais is located 18.3 kilometers from Orly Airport, 32.6 miles from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 99.8 km from the airport of Beauvais.