History and visit the Pont-Neuf in Paris
The Pont Neuf is one of the oldest bridges in the city of Paris. He crossed the Seine in the western part of the Ile de la Cité. This type of bridge is built with stone masonry. Construction of the bridge began in 1578 and ended in 1607. It measures 238 meters long and 20 meters wide. It is the third longest bridge in the city of Paris. It was the first stone bridge built in Paris and having no home, where his name the Pont Neuf. It is classified as a historic monument since 1889. There is also a World Heritage Site in 1991.
The Pont-Neuf still retains its name since its construction. A delegation was appointed by Henry III November 2, 1577 for the implementation and monitoring of construction. The Comptroller General of Finance Claude Marcel is designated to ensure the link between the board and the king. Letters Patent dated March 16, 1578 authorized the construction of the bridge. The first stone bridge was laid May 31, 1578 and work continued until the reign of Henry IV. The work was temporarily halted between 1588 and 1598 due to unrest in the city. The work was resumed in 1599 under the direction of François Petit and William Marchant. Witnesses pins river flood of 1910 are located on each side of the bridge. Baptiste Androuet Hoop was the first architect of the bridge planned to put houses on it. Cellars were placed under the arches and the bridge piers. When King Henry IV decided to build a bridge without housing, wineries already built were abandoned and transformed into lower chambers. In the 19th century, the caves were blocked. The bridge has 12 masonry arches with a big arm has seven arches and small arms has five. This bridge is characterized by 381 masks that differ from one another. These masks are works of Germain Pilon. On top of each stack is balconies shaped half circles that served to accommodate merchants.
The equestrian statue of Henri IV was inaugurated on August 23, 1614 on the deck. During the French Revolution, much of this statue and the bas-reliefs of the bridge were liquefied to make cannons. A new equestrian statue of Henri IV was built during the restoration. This statue is made of bronze and inaugurated in 1818. The construction of a huge pump was authorized by the King January 2, 1602. This pump is called the Samaritan pump in reference to the meeting between Jesus and the Samaritan woman at Jacob’s well. The design of this pump was made by the Flemish Jean Lintlaër. It consisted of a building built on stilts where two mill wheels turning. This pump function was to supply water to the palace of the Tuileries, the Louvre and the Jardin des tuileries.Des reconstruction works were carried out on the building between 1712 and 1719 by Robert de Cotte. The building became a post of the National Guard before being demolished in 1813.
Transfer to the Pont-Neuf in Paris
The Pont Neuf is located from Orly Airport at a distance of 22.4 km , 32 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 88.3 km from the airport of Beauvais.