History and visit the Place des Vosges in Paris
Place des Vosges is located in Paris’ 3rd and 4th arrondissement. Formerly known as Place Royale, it is part of the Marais district. Rectangular in shape, it has an area of 17780m ². Henry IV was built in 1604 by Louis Métezeau where the hotel stood Tournelles. It is surrounded by residential buildings shaped brick and stone. It remains the oldest square in Paris.
Place Royale was opened in 1612 during the engagement of Louis XIII and Anne of Austria. Its construction was completed in 1620. The center place was covered with sand and leveled. She served field to accommodate various events such as duels, tournaments or ring games. François de Montmorency-Bouteville it left his life in a duel in 1627.
Instead bore several names during the French Revolution. It was first named place Federated, place du Parc-d’Artillerie Place of Manufacture des Armes, instead of Indivisibility. She was called Place des Vosges in 1800, in honor of Vosges department was the first department to pay tax during the Revolution. Between 1814 and 1830 and from 1852 to 1870, the place took the name of the Place Royale. In 1870, she was again named Place des Vosges.
Many people lived in the place. Cardinal Richelieu had his residence at No. 18, Rohan-Chabot at No. 13, and the famous writer Victor Hugo at No. 6. The Place des Vosges was dedicated monument from 26 October 1954. It is far lined with magnificent hotels and glitzy flats.
Transfer to the Place des Vosges in Paris
Place des Vosges is located 20 km from Orly airport, 32 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport and 104 km from Beauvais Airport.