History and visit the Rue de Vaugirard in Paris
Through the 6th and 15th arrondissements, the Rue de Vaugirard is the longest street in Paris. It measures 4360 m along the route of an old Roman road from the Boulevard Saint-Michel, through the Place de la Sorbonne, to the intersection of Boulevard Victor Lefebvre and the Porte de Versailles.
The name comes from the deformation of Val Gerard, in honor of Gerard de Moret, Abbot of Saint-Germain. It refers to the ancient town of Vaugirard. For fourteen centuries, there were only gardens, convents and land under cultivation, on the road, but now it is covered with buildings of any style, because it is one of the most important Parisian way.
On this street was the hotel of Madame La Fayette lived where François VI, Prince Marcillac and Duc de La Rochefoucauld. He was born in Paris on 15 December 1613 and died 17 March 1680.
Marie-Madeleine Pioche de la Vergne, owner of the hotel is the Comtesse de La Fayette. She was born in Paris in 1634 and died May 26, 1692. She maintained a friendship with the Marquise de Sévigné and privacy very closely with La Rochefoucauld.
Later lived the widow of Scarron and author Lekain tragic. On this street, you can also see the remains of the convent of the Daughters of Calvary, the home of the last yardstick of Paris, located under the arches at the corner of boulevard Saint-Michel, the Lycée Saint-Louis.
Transfer to the Rue de Vaugirard in Paris
Rue de Vaugirard is located 41 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport, 17km from the Orly airport, and 117 km from the airport of Beauvais