History and visit the Place de l’Odéon in Paris
The Place de l’Odéon in front of the Odeon theater in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. The soil of this place in the shape of a semicircle was registered as a historical monument in 1948. Routes serving the Place de l’Odéon is Rotrou street, rue Racine, Corneille street, rue Casimir Delavigne Street Regnard Street Crebillon and rue de l’Odéon.
Opened in 1779, the Place de l’Odeon was built on the territory of the hotel Conde. This construction follows the publication of letters patent dated 10 August 1779. The radius of the Place de l’Odéon is 37.40 meters. This diameter was maintained by a ministerial decision of 4 Nivose IX and also by a royal decree issued in May 1841. The place was formerly called the Odeon Square Theatre French.
Apart from the ground and the Odeon Theatre, most of the buildings on the Place de l’Odéon are registered as historical monuments. The lawyer and journalist Camille Desmoulins, led the attack against the Bastille occupied a house which was at No. 2 rue de l’Odéon.
The length of the Place de l’Odéon is 74 meters. At No. 8 this street was formerly known as “Café Voltaire.” This place was once a hotbed where would often go to the political and literary intellectuals like Paul Verlaine, Anatole France, Jean Moreas or André Gide. Café Voltaire has contributed to the growing popularity experienced by the Place de l’Odéon.
Transfer to the Place de l’Odéon in Paris
Place de l’Odeon is located 16 km from Orly Airport to 33.9 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport to Rue de l’Odeon and 88.9 km from Paris Beauvais airport.