- History and visit the Esplanade des Invalides in Paris
- Shared shuttle to Paris Esplanade des invalides
History and visit the Esplanade des Invalides in Paris
L’Esplanade des Invalides is a large green space in front of the 5 rue de Constantine , in the Invalides district , between the Quai d’Orsay and Place des Invalides in the 7th arrondissement of Paris . It extends over an area of 32,800 square meters with 487 m long and 275 m wide. The Esplanade offers a phenomenal view of some monuments of the French capital . It is open daily and is accessible by bus lines 28, 63, 69 , 83 , 93, through lines 8 and 13 of the Invalides Metro Station as well as the RER Invalides.
It was created in 1704 and carried at that time the name ” Close Saint -Germain .” It was the architect Robert de Cotte who began implementing plans Esplanade . It was designed to have a rectangular shape whose surface is covered with grass. On the sides were to find trees arranged in a straight line . Whose surface disposed architect for the project extended from the Place des Invalides to the Rue de l’Université . In the middle of the Esplanade, there must be a crossing for two aisles with the Avenue des Invalides , now Avenue du Marechal Gallieni , and the Rue Saint -Dominique . This crossing was part of the original plans , but upon completion , it was transformed into a fountain. The latter was called ” Fontaine des Invalides .” The esplanade was extended to the Quai d’Orsay in a judgment of 4 December 1720.
Since its inauguration, the Esplanade des Invalides welcomed many historical events such as the celebration of 10 August 1793 or the Feast of the return of Napoleon’s ashes , which took place December 15, 1840 . It was also the seat of the exhibition industry in the year 1806. At the first event, which was held there , the center of the Esplanade was adorned by a huge statue of the Greek character Hercules. The latter represented the French people, who had won the war against federalism.
The esplanade belonged to the French State that it financed its construction. Later , the property was transferred to the city of Paris under the law of June 4, 1853 . The famous Universal Exhibition of 1900 had highlighted the plaza because it was the seat of a large pavilion . At this time, we also built a bridge called ” Pont Alexandre III ” was the connection point between the Champs Elysees and the Esplanade invalid . At the same time the station was built the Invalides and the latter was replaced by a terminal in 1948. It connected to Paris Orly .
L’Esplanade des Invalides officially became a historical monument November 19, 1910 and has a global protection. Currently , it is maintained by the City of Paris and covered with roses of different colors on some parts . The plaza is also home to a famous statue , it is the bronze representation of Prince Eugene de Beauharnais , which was built by sculptor Augustin Dumont in 1814. The garden is labeled QualiPARIS . The qualification of the plaza is due to its welcoming side and its ease of access and the fact that this is a place that is a source of information. Access to the park is free and it hosts many French visitors, and also a large number of foreign tourists.
Shared shuttle to Paris Esplanade des invalides
Visit historic sites by private shuttle with driver during your stay in Paris. The Esplanade invalid is 22 km from Orly Airport , 32 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 87 km from Beauvais Airport.