History and visit the Garnier Palace in Paris
The Garnier Palace or Opera Garnier is a great landmark building in the 9th arrondissement of Paris. It is located at 8 rue Scribe, at the end of the Avenue de l’Opera. Designed by architect Charles Garnier, it is a baroque style and inspired by Italian palaces . From 16 October 1923, it was classified as historical monuments of the French capital.
The construction of the Opera was an idea of Napoleon III. On 14 January 1858, he was the subject of an attack orchestrated by Italian anarchists. Although the imperial couple was not touched, there were forty-two dead and eight wounded. The day after the tragedy, Napoleon III took the decision to erect a new room that will be dedicated to Parisian high society. By imperial decree of 29 September 1860, he said the construction of public utility. The architect Eugène-Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc proposed the organization of a competition for the construction of an Imperial Academy of Music and Dance. This idea materialized by a decree of 29 December 1860. Among the hundred and seventy candidates competed, Charles Garnier, a young architect of thirty-five years won the competition May 30, 1861.
The prefect Haussmann choose the location where the building will be high. Charles Garnier asked several improvements on the ground, because the surface was asymmetric, ungrateful and narrow diamond. He took Victor Louvet as his deputy. It undertook the selection of businesses, artists and artisans such as sculptors, painters, ironworkers, upholsterers, the masons, cabinetmakers for the site. Garnier and his team worked in discomfort. Without extensive local work, they had a brief one-story barracks, built next to the site.
The first stone of the building was laid in 1862. The construction met with budgetary problems. The project was interrupted many times. The destruction of the Opera on the rue Le Peletier allowed room to gather the necessary funds to complete the building and decorating the interior. Sometime before the end of the work, Haussmann made arrange the Avenue de l’Opera at the request of Napoleon III. This route connected home of the emperor, the Tuileries Palace, the Opera Garnier. Ended December 30, 1874 with a total cost of thirty-six million gold francs, the Palais Garnier was inaugurated Jan. 5, 1875. Avenue, meanwhile, will open four years later.
The Palais Garnier is 172 m long, 101 m wide and 79 m high. It has 1,156 seats. The main facade southeast numerous sculptures, paintings and mosaics. You can see the loggia, supported by a prestigious gallery and footboards covered arches and domes flat balcony. It is overlooked by busts representing different composers. At the entrance to the west side facade is of green marble columns. Some are crowned with a large imperial eagle bronze. In this side is the flag of the Emperor which contains the library-museum of the Opera and a bust of Charles Garnier in gilded bronze. Visible from and Halévy Gluck streets, the entrance to the lateral façade adorned with female figures walk. The restaurant L’Opera, opened June 27, 2011 are not on this side. The northeastern part consists of large entrance hall, the hall of Control, the grand foyer and lounges, the rotunda of the glacier …
Shuttle Palais Garnier in Paris airports
Visit the historical places of Paris on board a prestigious limousine or a private shuttle. The Palais Garnier is located 22.5 kilometers from Orly Airport, 26.6 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 84.6 km from the airport of Beauvais.