History and visit the Rue des Martyrs in Paris
Rue des Martyrs is a way of 9th and 18th arrondissements of Paris. It lies in the districts of Rochechouart, St. George and Clignancourt with a length of 885m and 12 m wide. It is limited by the Notre-Dame-de-Lorette and Lamartine Street Vieuville. Lined with many small shops, theaters, bars and cabarets, the road is very busy and active.
Historically, it was in the twelfth century a path that led to the abbey of Montmartre. It was marked on the plan Jouvin Rochefort in 1672. She was first appointed Porcherons street because it was part of the district Porcherons then changed into rue des Martyrs to the street of Vieuville. Between 1793 and 1806, it was renamed rue du Champ Rest as it culminated in the cemetery called Field of Rest. By a decree dated April 2, 1868, she took again the name of rue des Martyrs.
He was awarded the name in memory of St. Denis, St. Eleutherius and Saint Rustique who were martyrs in Montmartre. According to legend, St. Denis was placed on a red-hot flame grill in prison Glaucin then led to Montmartre to do décapiter.On says he borrowed this way to return to the city, holding his head hands. A basilica bearing his name was built on the spot where he fell.
Prominent persons lived in this street. The deputy Manuel Géricault and remained at No. 21, Balzac had his apartment at No. 43, etc..
Transfer to the Rue des Martyrs in Paris
Rue des Martyrs is located 27 km from Orly Airport, 25.3 miles from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 85.2 km from the airport of Beauvais.