History and visit the Place Saint-Sulpice in Paris
The Place Saint-Sulpice belongs to the 6th arrondissement of Paris, in the district of Odéon. The place serves different ways namely rue Bonaparte, rue des Cans Street Henry de Jouvenel Street Palatine, rue Saint-Sulpice, rue du Vieux-Colombier. Created in 1757, the Place Saint-Sulpice is rectangular and has a length of 105 meters and a width of 80 meters.
The place took its name from the church of Saint-Sulpice, which is next to it. The current façade of the church was built in the 18th century by the architect Giovanni Niccolo Servandoni. He had the idea to create a monumental square half-circle of 120 meters wide and 208 meters long. Without realizing the project, it could start a space that extends the court in 1757. The place changed several times and sizes over the years.
Morphologically, the place Saint-Sulpice is bordered to the east by the Saint-Sulpice church and to the west by the rue Bonaparte. The street leads to the Vieux-Colombier in the northwest corner while the streets of Cans and Saint-Sulpice go to the northeast corner. The streets Henry de Jouvenel and lead Palatine to the southeast corner. The place is mainly for pedestrians. It has at its center a fountain, the fountain of Saint-Sulpice, built in 1847 by architect Louis Visconti.
The place Saint-Sulpice is also mentioned in the arts. Georges Perec was beautifully described in “Attempted exhaustion of a place in Paris” in 1974. The Place Saint-Sulpice housed a town hall, a hotel of Finance, a police station, three cafés, including a café tabac, a cinema, and a church.
Transfer to the Place Saint-Sulpice
Place Saint-Sulpice is located 16.3 km from Orly Airport to 34.5 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport to the Place Saint-Suplice and 89.5 km from Paris Beauvais airport.