History and visit the Rue Saint-Gilles in Paris
Saint-Gilles Street, a street in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris, has a length of 242 meters and a width of about 10 meters. This street is located in the Archives. Historically, the creation went up in 1640. This street, at that time, was opened on the grounds of the hotel Tournelles.
Morphologically, rue Saint-Gilles starts at 63-67 Boulevard Beaumarchais and ends at No. 48 rue de Turenne. It was a statue of Saint-Gilles, in the park of turrets, which was at the origin of the name of this street. In the past, Saint-Gilles was known as Rue Neuve-Saint-Gilles. It is important to mention that the hotel Tournelles, replacing the Hôtel Saint-Pol, once served as a place of royal residence.
Rue Saint-Gilles received several important buildings. At No. 18 is found at the hotel of the Comte de Pinon Brissay. An old house converted into a beautiful hotel by Mansart Delisle found himself at 22. At No. 12 found a hotel used remains the ambassador of the Venetian Republic in 1720.
This street also keeps in memory a compromise characters in the scandalous affair of the “collar” which had a strong impact towards the end of the old regime. Indeed, the Countess Jeanne La Motte, notorious for the case of “necklace” rented a house located at 10 rue Saint-Gilles. She remained there until his trial.
Transfer to the rue Saint-Gilles in Paris
Rue Saint-Gilles is located 17.6 km from Orly Airport to 27.7 km from Charles de Gaulle Airport and 99.8 km from Paris Beauvais airport.