History and visit the Oratory of the Louvre in Paris
The Oratory of the Louvre is a large Protestant church located between the rue Saint-Honoré and Rue de Rivoli, in the 1st arrondissement of Paris. The parish has long been committed to liberal theology. A very open and both traditional, the church organizes various activities available to the public it calls for all activities and youth activities. Also Sunday worship, she provides Greek and Hebrew Bible course studies the introduction to Christian theology, organizes conferences … The church is classified as a historic monument by a decree of 24 April 1907. Built in the heart of the city of Paris, visitors can get there by bus lines No. 21, 58, 72, 75, 81 and lines 1 and 4 stations Louvre and Les Halles metro as well as RER station Chatelet Les Halles.
During the reign of Henri IV, a room located in the Louvre Palace served the Protestants to worship. Following the murder of three thousand Protestants during the massacre of St. Bartholomew in 1572, the Protestants could not build their temple in 1598 years only ten kilometers from Paris in Charenton. Faced with the Protestant Reformation, the father of Be’rulle created the Congregation of the Oratory in 1611. It was declared a royal foundation by the regent of France, Marie de Medici a year later. The congregation was established at the time the Faubourg Saint-Jacques. In 1616, the father and his companions Be’rulle made the acquisition of the former hotel Closures, next to the Louvre. They placed a chapel in the same year. The order was a great success as the construction of a new church was needed. In 1620 Be’rulle purchased a large parcel of land that stretched from the streets of Austria to the rue Saint-Honoré for the building of the new church.
Towards the end of this year, the architect Clément Métezeau was commissioned to design the layout of the building. He designed a rectangular plan with a semicircular apse choir as well as a chapel square. In 1622, Jacques Lemercier replaced Clement Métezeau while work progressed rapidly. Lemercier effected a change in terms of the chapel in giving an oval shape, however, he kept the original plan of the church. Although the work followed its course, July 17, 1624, the church was elevated to royal chapel by a judgment of the King’s Council. In 1630, the work was stopped. 1730, the Superior of the Oratory, Father Jean-Baptiste wanted to continue the construction of the church. The work was resumed in 1740 under the direction of architect Pierre Caqué. The church was completed eight years later. It was consecrated by the Archbishop of Sens, Bishop Jean-Joseph Languet Gergy July 12, 1750.
As royal qu’Oratoire, funeral services of some great personalities stood in the church including those of Cardinal Richelieu, the two sovereign Maria Theresa and Anne of Austria, Louis XIII as well as the Chancellor Seguier. The Oratory of the Louvre was the seat of the Protestant consistory of Paris in the nineteenth century. It was not until 1882 that it became an independent parish. Father Theodore Monod, Wilfred Monod and other great names of French Protestantism succeeded one another as pastor of the church.
Taxi and shuttle to Oratory of the Louvre in Paris
The Oratory of the Louvre is located 19.9 kilometers from Orly Airport, 27.3 miles from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 86.2 km from the airport of Beauvais.