History and visit the Jeu de Paume in Paris Concorde Site
The Jeu de Paume Concorde site is a gallery devoted to contemporary art and photography. It is located at the opening of the Place de la Concorde, the Louvre area in the 8th arrondissement of Paris. It measures 80 meters long and 13 meters wide. Extending over a total area of over 2,700 square meters, 1,137 square meters are allocated to nine exhibition halls within it. The building was designed on three levels with 420 linear meters of picture rails. Most rooms are 4.5 meters high ceiling. The Jeu de Paume is open every day of the week except Mondays and during the holidays, every Tuesday from 11 am to 21 pm, Wednesday to Sunday from 11 am to 19 pm. It is accessible to visitors by lines 1, 8, 12 of the Concorde metro station and bus lines 24, 42, 52, 72, 73, 84, 94.
Under the reign of Napoleon III, a building was constructed in 1861 in the garden of the Tuileries, at the western end of the terrace Feuillant to accommodate a playroom palm. In 1909 it was transformed into an exhibition hall. Known as the Jeu de Paume, the institution was in close collaboration with the Louvre and the Musée de l’Orangerie. In 1922 part of the building was converted to house the section Foreign Schools Musée du Luxembourg. Has become a museum, the Jeu de Paume well disposed permanent collections he was known as a place for temporary exhibitions. From 1930, the institution was acquired several works of renowned artists including Picasso, Modigliani, Juan Gris, Van Dongen … Until the Second World War, the Jeu de Paume organized several modern art exhibitions. During the occupation, the establishment was used to store large collections of works of art that belonged to the Jews, which were confiscated or stolen by the Nazis. In 1947, the Impressionist works were received in the gallery of the Jeu de Paume. The building underwent renovation a decade later. The rooms were equipped with lighting and air conditioning system, which offered a better presentation of Impressionist works. The latter were transposed the Musée d’Orsay at its opening on 1 December 1986. The following year, the architect Antoine Stinco was commissioned to redesign the Jeu de Paume. Stinco kept intact the exterior of the building and made changes to the interior of the building. He added other exhibition spaces, created a media room, a café and a bookstore. The President of the Republic, François Mitterrand honored the inauguration of the National Gallery of Jeu de Paume in June 1991. The institution devoted to the presentation of modern and contemporary art and also embarked on video and film.
In 2004, the National Gallery of Jeu de Paume merged with two other institutions dedicated to photography, photographic Heritage Hotel de Sully and the Centre National de la Photographie. From there, the Jeu de Paume is a reference point for photography and image. Funded by the Ministry of Culture and Communication, the institution participates in the department’s policy to publicize photography and contemporary image.
Transfer shuttle taxi to the Jeu de Paume in Paris Concorde Site
The Jeu de Paume Concorde site is located 21.5 kilometers from Orly Airport, 32.1 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 87.4 km from the airport of Beauvais.