History and visit the Bateau-Lavoir in Paris
Part of the Montmartre district, Bateau-Lavoir stands at No. 13 rue Ravignan , in the 18th arrondissement of Paris . The building is dedicated to the artistic and literary life. The origin of its name comes from its inner aspect is similar to the boats. The name comes from the fact that washhouse had only one water station . From the early twentieth century , it was occupied by several artists both painters , art that people of letters and theater merchants. As a city of artists , he served both as a place of residence and place of meeting. Classified as historical monuments May 31, 1965 , the building was destroyed by fire five years later . Only the facade was spared. Completely rebuilt in 1978 , it currently houses twenty-five workshops foreign artists.
In 1830, the tavern of Poirier- without -Pareil stood at number 13 instead of Emile Goudeau today Eavignan street. Due to land subsidence , it was closed and replaced in 1860 by a piano factory . Seven years later, a locksmith named François- Sébastien Maillard was the acquisition of the building. He named the house at the time of the trapper . It was later transformed as the corridors of a ship . It was divided up into smaller units of a piece distributed on both sides of a corridor . In 1889, at the request of its owner, Mr. Thibouville , the architect Paul Vasseur It laid artists’ studios . Dark , without heat , cramped and cheap, these workshops an interest artists . The painter Maxime Maufra was the first to settle there in 1892. Very quickly, the building became a meeting place for artists. Paul Gauguin also had his studio . Two groups of Italian and Spanish artists , including Paco Durrio Ardengo Soffici and occupied several workshops between 1900 and 1904. Pablo Picasso held from 1904 the studio of his friend Paco Durrio . He lived there for five years , during which he met Fernande Olivier , who remained his companion for eight years. Until 1907 , Picasso in his studio effected tables the pink period .
Then began the era of Cubism , represented in his painting , Les Demoiselles d’ Avignon, currently on display at the MOMA in New York. Many artists settled at the time the Bateau-Lavoir , such as Modigliani, Juan Gris, Pierre Mac Orlan , Max Jacob , Kees Van Dongen … In 1908, a memorable banquet was organized by the occupants of the city in honor of a self-taught artist, Rousseau , who received the support of the latter. In 1909 , Picasso left the building and sat down on the boulevard de Clichy. However, he kept his studio at the Bateau – washhouse until 1912. After the First World War , the city of artists lost its success. Many artists settled in the districts of Montparnasse and La Ruche , became very fashionable. The Bateau-Lavoir had its equivalent in a house on the left bank said the Villa Medici in modern painting. He remained a popular place for artists until it was destroyed by fire in 1970. The architect Claude Charpentier rebuilt the building in 1978 but has retained its original architecture . It laid a carpenter twenty workshops illuminated by skylights .
The Bateau-Lavoir is not very visible in the Eavignan street. However, it stands in a busy neighborhood in the popular places that are around such as the Lapin Agile cabaret, theater of the Workshop, the Moulin de la Galette …
Transfer by shuttle taxi to the Bateau-Lavoir in Paris
We recommend our professionnal transfer service to pick you from Roissy CDG airport to the Bateau-Lavoir. The Bateau-Lavoir is located 17.9 kilometers from Orly Airport, 32.1 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 99.3 km from the airport of Beauvais.