History and visit the Church of St. Jean de Montmartre in Paris
The Church of Saint -Jean de Montmartre is a Catholic church in the district of Montmartre. It is located at 19 rue des Abbesses in the 18th arrondissement of Paris . It is also called Church of St. John the Evangelist. It was built between 1894 and 1904 according to plans by architect Anatole de Baudot . Neo-Gothic style , Baudot designed the structure of the building by the new technique of square cement. Inspired by the Art Nouveau facade of the building is made of brick. The ceramist Alexandre Bigot served pellets sandstone flamed to decorate the facade and bell tower which is covered by a trefoil arch. The church has three large high windows of the nave representing the Crucifixion , the adulterous woman and the Multiplication of the Loaves and a forty triangular windows that represent the litanies of the Virgin, some golf life of Jesus and the Holy John the Evangelist .
The interior of the church is decorated with wall paintings and bronze sculptures such as the representation of St. John the Evangelist flanked by two angels , designed by Pierre Roche. The Church of Saint -Jean de Montmartre is attached to the Archdiocese of Paris . Since March 15, 1966 , it is classified as a historic monument. For those who want to learn more about the church , a guided tour is held every fourth Sunday of the month at 16 am . It is open to visitors by lines 2 and 12 of the Abbesses Metro Station .
In ancient times , Montmartre already counted several temples. It was the scene of many persecutions at the beginning of the Christian era. The Saint -Pierre de Montmartre church was built some time after . In the twelfth century, a Benedictine monastery was built at the request of the wife of Louis VI . In the seventeenth century , it was moved to the bottom of the hill and disappeared during the Revolution. In the nineteenth century, Saint -Pierre de Montmartre church was closed due to obsolescence . It was then necessary to build a new church . In 1892, the parish priest of Saint- Pierre de Montmartre, the abbot of Sobaux made the acquisition of a parcel of land of about 44 meters long and 20 meters wide.
Two years later , the architect Anatole de Baudot, who was a student of Henri Labrouste and Viollet -le- Duc, built a new church in this area. The choice of materials used at the time was the center of debate architects. Baudot chooses the system set up by the engineer Paul Cottancin . This technique allowed to stack the bricks on metal rods. The application of this system uneasy administration. For non -compliance with planning regulations , it did suspend the job. It also threatened to destroy the book, because the construction was done without the permission of the administration. Construction resumed in 1902. The church was completed two years later , known as St. Jean de Montmartre. On 13 June 1904 a cult was celebrated to mark its opening. The decoration of the interior of the church could be done only from 1913. It was implemented by some artists such as Pascal Blanchard, Pierre Roche, Jac Galland Géniot , Goudji , Planzeau …
The church of Saint – Jean de Montmartre uses that Cavaillé- Coll organ manufactured for school Sacred Heart of Ferrandière in Lyon in 1852. It consists of two 56-note keyboards , a 30-note pedalboard , 28 games, including 25 real , with mechanical transmissions balance. Restored in 2009, this instrument gives more originality to this church .
Transfer by shuttle taxi to the Church of St. Jean of Montmartre in Paris
The Church of Saint -Jean de Montmartre is located 28.2 kilometers from Orly Airport, 24.3 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 84.4 km from the airport of Beauvais.