- History and visit the Musée Zadkine in Paris
- Transfer by shuttle taxi to the Zadkine Museum in Paris
History and visit the Musée Zadkine in Paris
The Zadkine Museum is located at No. 100 bis rue d’Assas, near the Jardin du Luxembourg, in the neighborhood of the Orsay Museum – Saint-Germain-des-Pres in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. Adopting an architectural style of the nineteenth century, the museum was inaugurated on 19 April 1982. It owes its name to the Russian-born French sculptor, Ossip Zadkine. Surrounded by a garden and decorated with sculptures, the museum is housed in the workshops Zadkine and the house in which he lived between 1928 and 1967. It is enriched by a large number of collections of the artist, 400 sculptures and 500 works on paper. The Zadkine museum is open to the public daily from 10 am to 18 pm except Mondays and holidays. This site is served by bus lines 38, 82, 83 and 91, line B station Port Royal RER and the Metro station Notre-Dame des Champs. Note that another museum dedicated to Zadkine is in the Lot, in the village of Arques.
Zadkine settled in Paris in 1910. Between 1912 and 1913, he focused on Romanesque sculpture and coasted great artists such as Picasso, Matisse and Bourdelle, Delaunay, Apollinaire … In 1928, he moved with his wife, Valentine Prax in the rue d’Assas, where he stayed and worked for fifty years. The idea of having a museum dedicated to his works long feeds. He wanted to leave his works and workshops rue d’Assas in the city of Paris to see the project come to fruition. With his wife, he bought a property in Arques, located in a small village of Quercy, during their travel in the Lot in 1934. Conquered by the scene, Zadkine created many sculptures that are among the largest of its production in the village of Arques. Although he was known for his works, he could not see his project completed before his death in Paris in 1967. To pay tribute to the artist, the General Council of the Lot decided to open a shop in the Zadkine museum property of the sculptor to Arques. In 1978, Valentine Prax, his wife, wanted to fulfill her wish having bequeathed all his property to the city of Paris. The former home of sculptor rue d’Assas was then turned into a museum. The Zadkine museum was opened a year after the death of Valentine Prax in 1981. The landscape architect Gilles Clément created the garden of the museum by adopting it to the works of artists who were inspired by the trees and the forest. In 2011, the museum was closed for restoration. In his thirtieth birthday, 10 October 2012, the museum marked its reopening with a presentation of its collections.
The Zadkine museum has four exhibition halls. His works are presented in chronological order. The sculptures on display in the first room reflect the influence of primitive art. They were made between 1908 and 1923. The second room contains the works of the Cubist period of the sculptor. Taste for poetry and Zadkine antiquity is reflected in his works exhibited in the third room. In the last room, there are sculptures made between 1940 and 1950, a period during which Zadkine was fascinated by the comparison between the shaft and the human body.
Transfer by shuttle taxi to the Zadkine Museum in Paris
We provide our customers with a wide choice of private VIP cars, collective shuttles and private shuttles to accompany them on all their trips to the French capital. Thus, contact us for your transfer with private car with driver to The Zadkine Museum which is located 14 km from Orly Airport, 34.1 miles with luxury taxi from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 90.8 km from the airport of Beauvais.