- History and visit the Place du Marché Sainte-Catherine in Paris
- Transfer from the Place du Marché-Sainte-Catherine in Paris
History and visit the Place du Marché Sainte-Catherine in Paris
Place du Marché-Sainte-Catherine is one of the quietest places, although very crowded with tourists in the 4th arrondissement of the French capital. Its location at the intersection of Rue d’Ormesson, the Caron Street and Jarente street. With its benches and the fact that it is forbidden to travel by car, we go above for a drink in one of the many terraces that border or to put in the shade by tall trees . There is nothing like walking to visit, with its cobblestone manicured. All around the place, there are many restaurants to disparate specialties. To get there, there Take the subway line 1 and get off at Saint-Paul. The Chemin Vert metro station is also nearby. You can also get there by bike. The station Velib ‘Rue de Sevigne is about 100 m away. The place is open every day of the week from 11:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m..
In the thirteenth century, the priory of Sainte-Catherine Val-des-school children occupied the present site of the Market Place Sainte-Catherine. After the priory was destroyed, we put in place a market nearly 600 years later, who was given the name of the old priory. The market is not there, but the market place was kept as its name. Despite this time lag, the history of the Market Place Sainte-Catherine is closely linked to the Priory since its existence was the result of a bet with fate or luck. Before the battle of Bouvine the early thirteenth century, soldiers made a vow to build a church in honor of St. Catherine they returned victorious. It was St. Louis who kicked off construction on land that was once called the Val Schoolboys in 1229. Expenses of the priory were then assigned to the order of Val-des-Schoolchildren, founded in 1201, which was eager to set up in Paris. The lands of the priory never ceased to grow with donations among others Nicolas Gibon, Peter Brain or the queen mother Blanche of Castile. The same construction of the priory was widely supported by the Templars who lived nearby.
During the Middle Ages, the priory was very active. Members are officiated, but also in other churches in Paris. A century later, the priory encountered financial difficulties. However, the royal family continued to support him. Through its donations and some land purchases, the priory cheers of the culture of his land which was called “couture St. Catherine.” Unfortunately it was forced to sell his land to the late sixteenth century because of its financial problems. The mid-eighteenth century, the priory was moved to the old Jesuit house, located in the rue Saint-Antoine as the church literally fell apart. The priory razed the land that remained was bought by Jacques-François Marchand du Colombier. At the exact location of the church in 1789, it installed a covered market which was much larger than the place Marché Sainte-Catherine that we know today. The ground floor of the buildings surrounding the square were also for sale. The last dealer closed its doors in 1939.
Transfer from the Place du Marché-Sainte-Catherine in Paris
Of the different transfer options to join the Place du Marché-Sainte-Catherine in Paris, the private car with driver is the one that will ensure the most comfortable trip. You can choose between collective shuttles or private cars or even luxury VIP cars. The Place du Marché Sainte-Catherine is located 18.6 kilometers from Orly Airport, 32.8 miles from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 88.8 km from the airport of Beauvais.