History and tour of Viaduc des Arts in Paris
The story began in 1853 when the railway company in Paris and Strasbourg could obtain land and permits for a large portion of the high road to Place de la Bastille, which was the new terminus railway, located at the eastern end of the city. The track, whose construction was planned in 1833 and completed in 1859, was more than 500 km long. This long road linking two cities has portions that are still used today, although they were subsequently rehabilitated to comply with the rails used by the TGV in France. In the city of Paris, the introduction of the RER line switch "A" of the SNCF in the 1960s has made the use of the obsolete high portion.
The Viaduct was then abandoned, it also leads to inevitable ruin of the station to the Place de la Bastille. These events are followed by several impacts on the local economy of the area artisans, artists and all cultural institutions are established here. L’Atelier Parisien planning (APUR) then sees facing two options: the most economical solution and that in the long term. The most economical solution was the demolition of the viaduct to follow the development and establish the continuity of Lyon Street and Avenue Daumesnil. The solution in the long term, which was also the most popular was the construction of a walk on the viaduct and renovation of all parties who need whatsoever plots gray or dark areas along the former line to showcase the heritage of this area to create new opportunities for business and ensure the future of the community.
The second option was initially considered to be realistic, it is more expensive and difficult to implement. But with a little more time, and APUR public should recognize the benefits of rehabilitation. This could well lead to a large investment in the neighborhood and later lead to the creation of different spaces for different uses and accommodate many activities.
The original construction of the bridge has led the division in the neighborhood and gave way to large areas orphans. The project to develop the walk was seen as a way to reconnect the neighborhood is the space along the corridor and converting unused space into public space, parks and squares, but also in offices and apartments that are connected to the walk. The inclusion of apartments and offices was a great way to ensure that the drive has to be held and used every day, a long and safe 4-kilometer walk.
In 1994, the first vault was completely restored until 1997, it is the 64 arches that have been restored with many shops and studios. It is from this point that the viaduct Arts was born. Currently, it has about a dozen workshops crafts such as decorating workshops, jewelery, silverware, cabinet … That said, there is always the rail on the overpass, the Planted walk is a peaceful space intentionally devoid of commercial activity.
Transfer from the Viaduct des Arts at Paris airports
The Viaduc des Arts is located 16.8 kilometers from Orly Airport, 29 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 96.2 km from the Beauvais Airport