History and visit the rue des Anglais in Paris
Street of English is located in Paris in the 5th arrondissement. It begins on the street Galande and ends at Boulevard Saint-Germain. It is 74 m long and 10 m wide. Street already existed during the reigns of Philip II said Philippe Auguste, son and heir of Louis VII. He was the seventh king of the direct Capetian dynasty until his death in 1223.
English students who lived in the 13th century in this street are the origin of the name Rue des Anglais. It was the seat of cutlery in the 15th century after Guillebert Mets. The planning Haussmann undertook a restructuring of the street from the Rue Lagrange expanding the left side except at No. 9. Against by the right has kept the same structure as it was in the Middle Ages. Few buildings on the street Galande kept the medieval period gabled roofs. Side of the former Walnut street, a portion was demolished to make an opening on the Boulevard Saint-Germain.
English contains the street of old houses and extraordinary buildings. The famous Cabaret Father’s Rifle was built by Father Lefevre during the revolution. The establishment took its name from it. Martin’s father came after him carrying slung on his chest which was taught cabaret glasses. At No. 4 we still find the shop with murals of the old tavern.
The townhouse Pontigny Abbey stood at No. 5. The current Babylon which is at No. 8 was the first box in the gay 70s.
You can have access to the street by the English bus RATP lines 47, 63, 86, 8, or M subway line 10 to the Maubert-Mutualité.
Transfers from rue des Anglais in Paris
Street of English in Paris is 20 km from Orly airport, 33 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle and 112 km from Beauvais Airport